7.50x16 tyres & 31" BFG AT KOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.50x16 tyres & 31" BFG AT KOs

I use my Surf for towing a big Ifor Williams trailer and find that on worn motorways the Surf rides the grooves one way and the trailer the other. I am thinking of changing the factory alloys and 31 10.50x15 BFGoodrich ATs to 750R16 radials on hilux steels to try to cure this. Has anyone any experience of this? I think a slightly taller/narrower tyre combo will work, it also means I am using the same tyre size as my Land Rovers which means I always have some spares......What do you reckon?

That aside, if I do the swap I will have 5 tidy Surf alloys (factory type) that had the rims polished a couple of years ago and are still pretty good fitted with 5,000 mile old BFG AT KOs (11mm tread). I won't need the nuts either so it's a package for someone. What should I ask for them?

Why dont you fit some of tonyn wheel spacers? just takes the tyers out of the ruts.
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Thanks for that Charvell, I'd not thought of that. I usually steer clear of spacers as I worry that they might load up the wheel bearings. Might try 750s on steels with spacers to fill the arches back up, then I get the best of both worlds
      Still wonder what the alloys and BFGs might bring. If one doesn't cover the cost of the other it'll have to wait 'til I have a prosperous week at work.....

Comment

[QUOTE=rodthrutheblock]I use my Surf for towing a big Ifor Williams trailer and find that on worn motorways the Surf rides the grooves one way and the trailer the other. I am thinking of changing the factory alloys and 31 10.50x15 BFGoodrich ATs to 750R16 radials on hilux steels to try to cure this. Has anyone any experience of this? I think a slightly taller/narrower tyre combo will work, it also means I am using the same tyre size as my Land Rovers which means I always have some spares......What do you reckon?

I share the same thinking as you, although my choice would be LT235/85/16 which I think is a bit wider than the 7.50`s. I use the truck for work and play and wish to go narrower AND taller. Narrower for better economy, better towing and generally less wear and tear. Taller for good ol` ground clearance for off-roading. Is it true that narrower is best for mud? Like you were saying about spacers, 16inch hlux steel rims with that size tyre would look ridiculous without spacers with my 3" lift. Is anybody on the forum running 235/85/16`s or 7.50x16`s on their surf?
        cheers,
        chris
        Last edited by chrisinflight; 18 October 2007, 20:49.