Dash Removal 2nd Gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash Removal 2nd Gen

This is a quick description of the dash removal on a 2nd gen, it really is fairly quick once you've done it a couple of times. Just done this from memory, there's already a write up here http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/ which is far better but hey. Betweeen these two you should find all the information you need to remove the dash back as far as the instrument cluster in around 1/2 an hour or so.

i. Remove the steering column shroud - 7 philips screws, all screwed from the bottom upwards, you will have to disconnect the little lamp in the side of the shroud when it’s apart. If the top section won’t come out tilt the steering wheel down.

ii. Remove the lower part of the centre console, below the cig lighter/ashtray – 2 philips screws, one each side

iii. Remove the glove box and attached part of the dash on passenger side – 4 philips screws, three along the top accessed with the glove box open, one at the bottom right hand side. + a 10mm socket at the bottom left corner below the speaker grille. As you remove it you will have to reach over and disconnect the speaker aswell.

iv. Before you remove the drivers side lower dash section, you need to remove the fuel flap release lever, two screws, pull the release twist it 90 degrees one way undo the screw which is now easy to get to and then do the same but twisting it the other way to get at the other screw. It’s ok to just leave it hanging. The bonnet release can be disconnected, it’s a bit fiddly but fairly easy, you have to pull the release then pinch the cable to give you enough slack to unhook it from the mechanism, it’s got thing on the head like a brake cable on a pushbike which just needs the cable lined up with the slot to release it sideways. If you have the cable operated idle up you need to remove this now aswell. The plastic knob pulls off, then you may be able to unbolt the front nut without removing the rest of it and just poke it back through it’s hole in the dash. If not you’ have to take off a tiny circlip, then undo this nut.

v. Then you can unscrew the dash panel. 4 screws along the top. One bottom left, and a 10mm bolt bottom right. Disconnect the speaker and any switches as you go.

vi. Remove the centre dash section, the bit around the radio and ashtray. I can’t remember any screws on this bit, I think there is just two on each side that are shared with bit’s of dash you’ve already removed. I left this in the passenger footwell to save disconnecting the cigarette lighter. There may be a couple of screws in the ashtray, but as mines been removed I can’t remember.

vii. The heater control face may or may not need to be removed, I have the early one with just sliders and no buttons which no one else seems to have. You can just prise off the face of this one with a knife or screwdriver.

viii. Remove the drivers side upper dash section, you will have to disconnect any switches etc which have been fitted as you go. My immobiliser is fitted into this bit of dash too, but there was enough length on the cable to leave it connected and rest this bit of dash on the windscreen. There are two screws above the instrument cluster, one either side of the steering wheel and one on the far left, by/behind the heater controls from memory.

ix. You should then be able to see the four screws holding the instrument cluster in place. Take these out and start to remove the cluster, as you do you need to reach around the back and find the speedo drive cable, it’s held on by a large round connector, with a plastic clip you have to just push and it releases, once you know how it’s easy, but just find it and feel round for the clip, when you find it just push it in. I found the easiest way to get to this was to unscrew the vent on the right hand side and reach through were this came out and round behind the cluster. As you remove it there are four wiring plugs at the top, they all only fit into one slot and only one way round, and they’ll probably all stay together in a line in the order they fit anyway.

All done, have a beer do what you need to do and read the instructions backward to put it all back.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

hmm sounds likw fun,but handy to know just bought cat1 alarm immob to fit to mine and my mph are sh*t,when its says 20 mph,im actually doin 27!!!so 2 birds with one stone,good excuse to put white clocks on me thinks

Comment

Hey Nero
      u da Man!
      just the info I need where are you in Kent maybe we could meet up
      cheers Bobo

Comment

ashford mate, where are you?
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Working...