Idler Arm Bushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idler Arm Bushes

Well I changed my Idler Arm bushes today - didn't take long (about 50 minutes) but was a bit of a pig. Couldn't get the ball joint off the tie rod so I had to leave it in situ - unbolted the shaft from the body and left the shaft and arm on the car while I changed the bushes. Once I had got the body off the car it was easy - about 5 minutes to remove the old bushes, clean the body, re-grease with LM grease, put in the new bushes and then it was ready for the car again.

One point is I think I will need to change the whole unit in another year or so as the shaft is quite worn.

It has made a big difference to the driving experience - no more pulling to the left and no more play in the wheel. Drives more like a car with a Rack and Pinion.

One other suggestion to anyone attempting this themselves. Get a decent STRAIGHT 17mm ring spanner. Don't get one with any crank in it. With the AC rad in place it is really quite difficult to get at the nuts on the end of the large bolts connecting the idler arm body to the chassis. You rally need to get at these nuts otherwise you won't be able to remove the bolts as they will just turn on the end of the bolts.

Also changed my Glowplugs today - Easy job, took 1/2 hour start to finish. Need a longish 14mm socket to get them out and in and need to remove the air tubes (both of them). The Turbo to inlet one is the worst job of the whole thing as the rubber hoses are very tight and stiff and don't allow you to move them very easy. Also the standard hose clips that Toyota uses are awful. I will be changing these for Jubilee clips after my next trip to Halfrauds.

Cheers

Andy
    Where did you get them from, Milners'? Wanna change mine but wanna make sure i get the right ones!
    Cheers
    Del
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
      Andy
      Where did you get them from, Milners'? Wanna change mine but wanna make sure i get the right ones!
      Cheers
      Del
      Yep Milners it was, £3.00 each and you need two. Only thing they don't do is the grease seal that goes on the bottom so be careful with it - mind you, you don't need to disturb it really but removing it makes cleaning the body easier. Also make sure you do a good cleaning job because if your bushes are as bad as mine were there will be lots of bits of plastic swarf in there.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
        Yep Milners it was, £3.00 each and you need two. Only thing they don't do is the grease seal that goes on the bottom so be careful with it - mind you, you don't need to disturb it really but removing it makes cleaning the body easier. Also make sure you do a good cleaning job because if your bushes are as bad as mine were there will be lots of bits of plastic swarf in there.

Cheers
        £1.50 EACH IVE JUST GOT SOME
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          £1.50 EACH IVE JUST GOT SOME
          Yeah you're right, just looked at the bill, £3.00 for the two.

Cheers

Comment

Sorry Andy. I meant the glow plugs!
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
            [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

If you're really careful - and a bit of a contortionist, you can do the glowplugs with everything in place... having had to do all the air hoses yesterday (for injectors) the contortionist method is preferred !!

Athough getting the inlet pipe back on is easier if you take off the throttle body top half.

See.... glowplug & injector change and I'm suddenly an xspurt (X - unknown quantity SPURT - etc etc etc!!)
              Ignore me.....do what Lucky tells ya !
              [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

Working...
              X