X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear wheels shudder

help.....

my surfs out to get me in the pocket...

for some reason once it warms up,and only at slow speeds and with the front wheels turned the rear wheels start biting and shuddering ,mainly at junctions and when trying to park,
    if up try to reverse into a parking spot in reverse then you better put a bit of wood in your mouth and bite down....
    i have cleaned the brakes up and let of the handbrake tension a little but there was a clunk and its started again...
    its not stuck in 4wd,uj looks ok,diff,gearbox and transfer box all have oil..
    i have had the diff plug out and rocked the wheel back and forward all looks ok!!
    could it be the tensioner buggered on handbrake or ....THE LSD DIFF.....still ?
    any ideas ??please??

Doesn't sound familier to me but could it be the rear locking hubs? Have you tried turning them? May be worth checking the direction they need to be in first and then ensure they are. If it locks the diff then that could be why it only happens when turning slowly.

Prob not its just another illimination.
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

will have a look in morning

Comment

Originally posted by maxwell-1
        help.....

my surfs out to get me in the pocket...

for some reason once it warms up,and only at slow speeds and with the front wheels turned the rear wheels start biting and shuddering ,mainly at junctions and when trying to park,
        if up try to reverse into a parking spot in reverse then you better put a bit of wood in your mouth and bite down....
        i have cleaned the brakes up and let of the handbrake tension a little but there was a clunk and its started again...
        its not stuck in 4wd,uj looks ok,diff,gearbox and transfer box all have oil..
        i have had the diff plug out and rocked the wheel back and forward all looks ok!!
        could it be the tensioner buggered on handbrake or ....THE LSD DIFF.....still ?
        any ideas ??please??
        We need to know what Surf you have, age/reg/engine/fuel type.
        Add these details to your profile.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          We need to know what Surf you have, age/reg/engine/fuel type.
          Add these details to your profile.
          It's a yellow "vehicle"
          Yours says 4.0 V8 does this mean you've caged that lexus animal?
          Last edited by Antshiel; 19 September 2007, 22:43.
          http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

sorry bushy,its a 3.0 diesel,with rare manual box,(the best).
            1994 L-reg in lovely dark blue..sorry about profile forgot i had to re-reg myself on here as changed email address before i noted password..
            anyway it playing up so all ideas will be looked into,cheers maxwell-1(madmax)

Comment

Are you sure you've not had it in 4wd on the Tarmac?

(at slow speeds and with the front wheels turned the rear wheels start biting and shuddering ,mainly at junctions and when trying to park,)
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

Maybe the dual mass flywheel falling apart.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Sounds like the Diff. I have just had a simular problem. I had a shattered wheel bearing on the near side rear and I thought that it was that making the noise. When done the noise was still there on turning and really bad on reversing on to my drive, just like a grating sound, really nasty.
                  Took it back to my local garage on Portland and he took the wheels off and spun the axil, all OK except both wheels turned together. Put the wheels back on and drove really slowly on a turn and saw the rear wheels jumping around and that was the proof that the Diff was totally locked up. Fine on the straight but awfull on the turn or reverse.
                  Took the Diff out could not see what had gone on but had to check to see if a bit if broken bearing went in to it but there is plstic cover to stop that.
                  S$$$$ man for another Diff, arrived, fitted and fine now. Cost of Diffs on 1st Choice breakers varied from £73-300 and I had plenty of replies, so there are a few out there.
                  Hope it helps.
                  2.4 LN130 SSRG K Reg

Dropbox - You're invited to join Dropbox! - Online backup, file sync and sharing made easy.
                  To use Drop Box today for free click go here https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTczNzg1MzQ5

Comment

This All Sounds They Costly????

It Only Does It When Its Got Hot And Driven For About 40 Miles..

I Will Book It In To Get Looked At And Make Sure Im Sitting Down.

Cheers Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X