help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

Hi, I have a 1994 3.0 ssrx and for the 2nd time in 2 years the driveshaft gaiters have torn. This time I have bought some from a different supplier and having gone to fit myself, I found that I cannot remove the driveshaft. I have removed all 6 nuts and cone washers and circlip at the wheel end and I have removed all 6 nuts on the inboard cv end n/s. I have even removed 2 of the studs from the cv joint but no matter how much I jiggle it or rotate it or even raise or lower the wishbone I cannot remove the shaft past the output flange with the 6 studs on. What am I doing wrong? Please help

Originally posted by phil1234
    Hi, I have a 1994 3.0 ssrx and for the 2nd time in 2 years the driveshaft gaiters have torn. This time I have bought some from a different supplier and having gone to fit myself, I found that I cannot remove the driveshaft. I have removed all 6 nuts and cone washers and circlip at the wheel end and I have removed all 6 nuts on the inboard cv end n/s. I have even removed 2 of the studs from the cv joint but no matter how much I jiggle it or rotate it or even raise or lower the wishbone I cannot remove the shaft past the output flange with the 6 studs on. What am I doing wrong? Please help
    Phil when i done my inner boot i had to release the top ball joint in order to give enough movement on the hub to allow the shaft to drop.I can come over or you can call here if you need a hand
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply m8. Did you have to use a splitter and do you have to do this on both sides. Cheers

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply m8. Did you have to use a splitter and do you have to do this on both sides. Cheers
        i did originally when i first took the balljoint off to fit the ball joint spacers and then when the boot split i just took the new bolts out of the wishbone that hold the b/joint in place.I have a splitter here also if you need it

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce
          i did originally when i first took the balljoint off to fit the ball joint spacers and then when the boot split i just took the new bolts out of the wishbone that hold the b/joint in place.I have a splitter here also if you need it
          You should be able to slide the outer boot on first and then fit the inner boot from the inner end of the d/shaft without taking the shaft off of the hub

Comment

Cheers for the reply m8 I was hoping to remove from the hub and pack it with grease at the same time as doing the gaiters as its a bit rattly and dry.

Comment

i ain't had to do mine as of yet so can't give you any advice on the hub end of it sorry.

Comment

Here ya go m8.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cvjoints.htm

Comment

Thanks for that m8, I think my problem is that where my Surf has been raised I cannot get the wishbone high enough to get the clearance needed to remove the half axle. In fact I cannot get it anywhere near horizontal without the whole car lifting up. Its looking like I may have to split the ball joint and do it that way.

Comment

How much has the surf been raised, cos above a certain height, the gaiters will wear quickly because of the increased angle of the driveshafts.
                    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Hi m8 I think its raised by 2 inches.

Comment

Hi m8 I think its raised by 2 inches.

I assume the torsion bars haave been adjusted or you have ball joint spacers fitted to raise the suspension as you have a 2nd gen. You need diff spacers to lower the front diff down so that the driveshafts are less of an angle.
                        If it's a 2" body lift your truck has, then this won't affect driveshaft angles or CV joint wear.

Comment

I think its a suspension lift, the torsion bars have been adjusted to their maximum of 2 inches so I was told. Whether this is true I dont know but it does sit very high for only 2 inches.

Comment

Working...
                          X