steering box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering box

is the surf kzn 130 steering box the worm type inside?
    as some of you may know ive spent the deficit of a small third world country trying to get rid of a shaking coming through the front end of the car and up through the seats at certain speeds

anyhow
    after changing most of the links etc and the wheels and tyres i decided to change the front wheel bearings
    was talking to the mechanic about the shaking and he has a theory . . .
    he thinks it could be the steering box
    when i asked him to explain because everything is tight when a pry bar is used, he said that not all wear is horizontal but can be vertical as well
    he explained that the symptoms i am having he has had before with steering box's (the worm type) and it could be vertical movement ie up & down as opposed to side by side if that makes sence
    thats why when everything is checked on the front end its all tight and how it should be
    when im driving and the car is in motion the steering box (or worm) allows the movement

i can see his theory but just wondered what you guys thought
    ive explained it the best i can after he explained it to me so sorry if im out on anything
    he is going to come for a run with me this week and drive it himself as well
    cheers
    at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Have you checked the steering damper as they go soft and end up not doing anything . Mine needs changing as steering wanders and hops accross the road . Bigger tyres make this worse aswell.
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

yes mate
      changed for the heavy duty roughtrax one when i updated the shox on the car
      it made no difference with the problem i have
      Last edited by shaggy; 11 September 2007, 22:00. Reason: spelling

Comment

Itn is possible that your discs are out of balance, have you changed them yet?
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
          Itn is possible that your discs are out of balance, have you changed them yet?
          had them checked and was told they were not that old and were in very good order
          i dont think its them as i dont get any shaking when braking either
          my problem is more like a buckled wheel and does also come though the seat as well as the whole car shaking
          its a mystery

Comment

Sounds like a prop shaft out of balance to me, don't know anyone who would be able to check though, ask at your local garage where you have it serviced.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
              Sounds like a prop shaft out of balance to me, don't know anyone who would be able to check though, ask at your local garage where you have it serviced.
              but
              would the prop being out of balance come through the steering column as well?
              if you have ever seen a documentary on airplanes and they show you shaking stick
              its like that
              its not just left to right its also up & down
              to be honest its doing my tits in now
              Last edited by shaggy; 12 September 2007, 20:08. Reason: spelling again!!

Comment

Working...
              X