strange rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange rattle

i have had a deep rattle on the back end for a few weeks now and its gradually got worse so after the weekend at avalanche it has got considerbly worse, so i went underneath and had a pull at every thing i could find but to no avail. so i tried to recrate the rattle by hold the rear pass side tyre and shaking the truck which did it ! and it also sounded like a knocking coming from the hub area and there feels like a load of play in the area..... i thought maybe wheel bearing... has anyone else got any other suggestions ???

thanks in advance

Originally posted by horse_flesh
    i have had a deep rattle on the back end for a few weeks now and its gradually got worse so after the weekend at avalanche it has got considerbly worse, so i went underneath and had a pull at every thing i could find but to no avail. so i tried to recrate the rattle by hold the rear pass side tyre and shaking the truck which did it ! and it also sounded like a knocking coming from the hub area and there feels like a load of play in the area..... i thought maybe wheel bearing... has anyone else got any other suggestions ???

thanks in advance
    Are the anti roll bar brackets ok on the rear and also the bushes.It may pay to change the bushes as that may be the cheapest option first if they are the originals
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

i have had a good tug on the ARB and there seems to be no movement in it at all

Comment

get some one to shake the rear wheel and whilst they are doing that have a good look around underneath.it does sound like the arb brackets might be broken but you said they are ok.check around the springs and shocks then go to the other side and check the same thing jack up wheel and give it a good shake.a wheel bearing would make a rumbling noise.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

i think i may have found the problem..... the Rear anti-roll bar link has a few mil of play in it at the top end by the rubbers. can the slack be taken up in these or once they go they need replaced ?
          If they need replaced does anyone have one lying about that they would care to part with for a resonable price

Comment

if your on about the anti-roll bar drop link that you can see under the wheel arch. i know on mine you can run the nut down the thread and it will come to a natural stop, it won't go any further, (i don't know if they are the original ones though, i suspect that they are though because they look about as grotty as every thing els under there)
            my front ones are slightly different, you could run the nut up the thread and split a new bush if you wernt keeping an eye on it.

(you could also temporarily remove the anti- roll bar with the drop links still attached (just mark it up so you can re-fit it) and then see if the noise still exists. its only 2 bolts and 2 nuts.

all the rubber bushes can be obtained from roughtrax,
            www.toyotahilux.com

if the ball joint part of the drop link isn't rattling and moves smoothly i wouldn't attempt to remove it because the bolt holding it on will be seized and you will have to cut it out with a grinder.
            Last edited by davemaxx; 31 August 2007, 13:17.

Comment

aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh..... this freakin rattle is driving me up the wall

Comment

woohoo...after many hours pulling and hitting & kicking the S**t out of the back end i finally found it.....
                A section about 10mm long of the bottom of the bumper was just touching the tow bar . i have never heard such a little thing make so much racket !!
                I dont have to sell it now

Comment

You should ask TonyN about the rattle in the back of his Runner a while ago
                  Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Working...
                  X