Timing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt

Hi all, I have searched the forums and I cant find a timing belt guide. I got a KZN130 and a new belt in the post Car just turned 190k wanna do the belt asap. Im fairly good at getting greasy and stuff so wanna try it myself.

What goes crunch when they go snap?

Surfenstien have you done a belt before? Are you free this weekend ?! lol

Can someone more abled than me find a link to an old post or give us a quick low down on what or where to start plz,

Cheers
    Last edited by Donk_UK; 23 August 2007, 21:55.

Which engine have you got mate? Belt going "snap" can equal wallet going "ker-ching", so worth the renewal I reckon. Did mine a few months ago and only took about 45 mins. (On a 1KZ-TE) Cover off the front, aligned the markers, released the tensioner, changed the belt, checked the tensioner and pulley, replaced tensioner. turned over a few times by hand to check alignment, replaced cover. Managed to get it done without moving the radiator or covers, which I know some people do. Good luck.
    Rich

Comment

C:\Documents and Settings\Carliosos\Desktop\tim ingbelt.htm

Try this mate.
      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Sorry wont work, try the toyota surf website mate it has alot of step by step stuff
        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Make sure the engine is cold when doing this.
          As with all jobs, if you dont feel comfortable changing timing belts then leave it to the professionals. It should be mentioned that this is a guide of how I replaced mine, others may differ. Goes without saying I hope that you take responsibility of the job and any consequences if you do this yourself.

If you have a need to do it, this job will be alot easier if you remove the radiator, although it can be done with it in situ, as I explain below. Just makes the job more fiddly and tricky.

1) Remove the batteries and trays and tape up the ends.

2) Remove the 4 viscous fan bolts, but leave the fan on the water pump for the time being.

3) Remove the power steering belt

4) Remove the air con pump by undoing the 4 retaining bolts. Once removed carefully prise the hosing out
          of the retainers (on the front of the cam belt cover) and move the pump and hosing out of the way
          (I placed mine on top of the rad). You may have to loosen the air con belt tensioner. Remember to
          loosen the tensioner bolt (goes through the centre of the pulley) before trying to loosen the
          tensioner.Be warned its a git to get to and you canonly get about 1/4 of a turn every time.

5) Loosen and slacken off alternator tensioner. Remove the bolt holding alternator in place (goes through
          tensioner and into the alternator body).

6) Remove the aircon bracket/belt idler/alternator tensioner assembly (4 17mm bolts) and remove. This
          gets you alot more room to play with.

7) Roll the alternator intowards the block and remove the belts.

8) Gently remove the viscous fan. You`ll have to manipulate and be a little forceful with it a bit to remove it from the car but it can be done as long as step 6 is complete.

9) Remove the water pump pulley

10) Remove all the belts from the lower harmonic damper/pulley and mark in some way so that you can put them back in the right order.

11) Automatics only need do this, manual owners can place the car into first and put the handbrake on to lock the motor.Tricky this bit. I managed to remove my starter motor and jam a screw driver into the ring gear, to prevent the motor from turning but there may well be a better way.
          Get a 19mm socket and a driver (the longer the better, ie a torque wrench is good) and undo the bottom pulley bolt. It should be very tight (100+ lb/ft torque) so expect some fun.Remove the harmonic damper/pulley assembly.

12) Inspect the harmonic damper for signs of rubber
          perishing or damage and replace.

**** Next steps only if replacing timing belt ****

13) Remove the water hosing across the timing belt cover. Try removing the 2 on the drivers side and then jaming them over the passenger side and turning them to face up to prevent all the radiator water escaping. This clears the timing belt cover so it can be removed.

14) Undo all the timing belt covers bolts and remove cover.

15) Very carefully turn the engine over (a socket on the camshaft pulley is fine, just go gentle!!) so that all the timing marks line up. NOTE: the camshaft timing mark is underneath (ie the fuel and bottom pulley timing marks (bottom pulley can be temporarily replaced or the keyway faces up when lined up) are all at 0 degrees or pointing up, whereas the camshaft timing mark is at 180 degrees or pointing down).

There you go
          Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Cheers Surfer thats a good guide, ready for the famous last words " sounds easy enough" LOL I'm gonna regret saying that!
            Last edited by Donk_UK; 23 August 2007, 22:57.

Comment

I just copy pasted from a research tool, thats a pro's guide not mine. Hope you get it sorted dude.

Ta Ta
              Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Working...
              X