Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Grinding noise

Hi y'all,
    My 92 2.4 has developed a very odd trait since the snows a few weeks back. The front drivers side wheel makes a scratchy grinding noise which stops when I twitch the steering wheel. It only happens when I first set out in the mornings after a mile or so. almost like a stone has lodged between the brake disc and the pads. A quick left right on the steering wheel stops it and we're OK again. It only happens when its cold and not every morning although it seems to be getting more frequent. I've just passed a MOT so guessing my brakes are OK. Any ideas????

Hi Rex,

The MOT test only tests the brakes they dont inspect them to see if they are worn. It may be that the pads are worn and a wear indicator is operating - they make a similar noise to that described.

You mention the snow the other week so I am thinking grit lodged in the calipers or something. Give the wheels and behind a good jetwash to see if it clears.

Best to take the wheel off and get your head in there

Regards

Rich.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Thanx for that Rich, I didnt realise that pad wear wasnt tested in the MOT. That's probably the story then.. The MOT boys managed to get me on the steering idler arm which they reconed wasnt really dangerous & not really that much of a problem but needed a new one anyway. Bye Bye Xmas bonus. but they dont check brake wear!!??? Seems crazy to me..anyway,I guess I'll have to get the overalls on again tomorrow.
      Thanx again
      Attached Files

Comment

They just put it on a rolling road and check the braking pressure is up to standard and balanced.

Rich.
        If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Nice to see another Bedfordshire Surfer, Rex. Wonder if its you I have seen occasionally along Bramingham Rd? Best colour truck too!
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by rexii66
            but they dont check brake wear!!??? Seems crazy to me..anyway,I guess I'll have to get the overalls on again tomorrow.
            Thanx again
            Not really, they check they work, thats all. Maintaining them is up to you.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

possibly seen me up there Phil, but only driving by, I'm parked over the South side of town near Stockwood Pk and commute to Watford every day via slip end. (M1 in the mornings scares the hell out of me as I sit there watching the temp gauge. I have a bad case of 2.4 anxiety) Might see ya up the Downs one day. I presume you go there. I've got a 4 mtre Quad Line in the boot that I get out when its not too windy. Now that thing is scary!!!

Tony, Thanks for your comment, you are of course, Dead Right. Having driven plastic and Aluminum cars for so long prior to getting the Surf and relying on Joe Mechanic to sort everything for me, I've become a bit complacent regards Maintenance. Still.... wouldnt go back.. Love ma truck!!

Comment

Originally posted by rexii66
                Still.... wouldnt go back.. Love ma truck!!
                Do that to you, don't they!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi Rex,

I have exactly the same sort of grindy / clanky noise from my truck... change wheelbearing, retightened wheelbearings, moved wheels front to back, checked brakes, pads, bearings (again) and its STILL THERE!!!!!! The garage (who have no idea really, about ANYTHING) reckon'd it could be a cv joint on the front wearing out. So I tried full locking the car (whilst cold & grinding) in a circle and heard the tinniest clicking noise.....so maybe ?

I reckon I'll turn the stereo up until it gets to be a permanent thing, then I might be able to find it !

Welcome to the forum, fellow foreigner in Bedfordshire !
                  [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

Working...
                  X