No announcement yet.

Anyone Using Veg Oil Experienced This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Using Veg Oil Experienced This?

Hi,

My Surf runs far better, smoother, quieter and has more pick up and power whilst running on a 50/50 mix of Diesel and Vegetable oil!

It is also no more smoky than before and is generally far better all round apart from a wierd smell like deep fried turnips.

I had been running on a 50/50 mix for a week or so and got stuck on the way to Wales for a holiday with no vegetable oil.

(The fuel warning light had come on!)

Stuck a full tank of Diesel in her and even the kids noticed the difference when it kicked in!

Why is this?

I am confused!

It seems as if the 50/50 mix was "spot on" and normal diesel is nowhere near as good!

I'm buggered if I can explain this, I'd genuinely thought it would have been the other way around!

Later!

Gary
    Last edited by hellmett; 25 July 2007, 00:53.

Originally posted by hellmett
    Hi,

My Surf runs far better, smoother, quieter and has more pick up and power whilst running on a 50/50 mix of Diesel and Vegetable oil!

Had been running on 50/50 for a week or so and got stuck on the way to Wales for a holiday with no veg oil.

(Fuel warning light had come on!)

Stuck a full tank of Diesel in her and even the kids noticed the difference!

Why is this?

I am confused!

It seems as if the mix was spot on and normal diesel is not as good!

Buggered if I know, I'd thought it would have been the other way around!

Later!

Gary

It's probably the veg oil's lubricating properties.
    Diesel especially the latest 'city diesel' has a low sulphur content and probably reduces injector life.

Comment

I'm always convinced mine runs better on veg, but I'm not sure how much of that I imagine. I can have the back window down without getting a headache though!

Comment

They are quiter on Veg. Mine is noticeably so as well.

Comment

I have been running mine on up to 100% biodiesel depending on temperatures and get variable results which seem to depend on the batch of bio I get. The worst I have had gave about 5% less MPG, the best noticably increased power and I got an extra 80k out of a tank. Loads of theories on this that get into the technical stuff about cetane ratings an the like. The power boost could be a factor of this and the fact that the Bio/veg oil is thicker, lubricating and upping your compression rating a bit by reducing loss past the piston rings.......
          Ultimately though, if the biodiesel is made from re-used oil, the carbon footprint is better than a prius, oh and it saves a few pennies (currently paying 82p/litre).

Comment

I agree.. Mine seems to run better, more smoothly and with a little more umph when I am running in SVO mode. Good init?
            -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

I bin running mine up to 70% wiv no Probs & in reserve a 25 litre drum in the Back (for emergencies)

There's always a Payback .... Ya just can't see em Comin !!!!
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
              X