Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle shaft nut & Washer

Hi
    Can anyone give an opinion on the purpose of the Nut & Washer on the end of the axle shaft of a 2nd gen 3.0 auto kzn130? I doesn't appear to retain anything and is causing me problems with the fitting of freewheeling hubs!

Neil
    www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Originally posted by europa88
    Hi
    Can anyone give an opinion on the purpose of the Nut & Washer on the end of the axle shaft of a 2nd gen 3.0 auto kzn130? I doesn't appear to retain anything and is causing me problems with the fitting of freewheeling hubs!

Neil
    I think that holds the shaft from the CV joint in the Hub. Think you probably have to remove it to fit the freewheeling hubs and then replace with a new one. But then this is a pure guess as I have never done it.

Cheers

Comment

Andy Thanks for the input,
      The nut and washer doesnt actually retain any thing that i can see. it appears to just sit on the end of the shaft. The splined shaft sticks out about 5ml proud of the ADD drive flange so doesn't even retain this. The washer is about the same diameter as the splined axle shaft so it wont stop anything from coming off????

The reason i am asking is because of a rubbing noise after fitting AVM hubs from Milners the instructions say to replace this nut and washer but I can tighten the rotation of the brake disc /hub assembly by torqueing up this nut and washer, so i am guessing that it is the brake disc that is rubbing!

I'm waiting for karl @ milners to come back to me on this one!
      Neil

Comment

This might help???

Rich.

http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...3d80161e76.jsp
        If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Thank Rich

At least it shows the bolt and washer, i'm not imagining It! Karl from milners seems to think I may have a snapring missing on the spline of the axle flange to stop movement of the brake disc/hub?? (as I can stop the disc turning by torquing this nut)He says it is about 1 inch along the axle shaft spline. I'm getting confused now cos how will that affect the movement if the bearing nuts and lock washers are torqued up?

Unfortunately the freewheeling hubs are not the original aisin type
          which i would prefer, but Avm's which seem ok, but i noticed they do not reuse the cone washers.

Any way I'll have another look tomorrow and see if I can see this grooved ring in the axle shaft for a snapring! I'm loathe to remove the bearing nuts and locknuts unless I really need to.

Neil

Comment

There is a groove in teh solid axle hilux's for a snap ring. The IFS models dont. From what i can remember, the bolt and washer at the end are the last line of defence if stuff comes loose on the axle. Took min eoff to put the body of my aisin hubs on, then put it back on. Dont need a new one. My guess, if it is your hubs making the noise is that the cap is on incorrectly and rubbing against something. Hope i helped!
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
            [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

I would go along with that Derek.

I cant ever remember seeing a groove for a snapring, also It's just been looked at by a good garage recently, to check bearing adjusment I'm sure they would have noticed If a snapring was missing!
              the only thing i cant fathom out Is why when i torque up the nut can I
              stop the hub/disc from turning? The washer under the nut bears on the spline of the freewheeling hub so in effect it is squeezing the whole assembly via the freewheeling hub.

Think I'm gonna have a lie down, a beer or both!!
              At least It's driveable as i put the ADD flanges back on.

Cheers

Neil

Comment

Snap ring for the live axle, bolt and washer for the IFS, even with freewheeling hubs.

The axle shaft should protrude out of the hub splines, so the washer isn't pushing on them.

Check the inner hub of the hubs is not spaced out to far for some reason. is it the right way round? or binding on the hub ring instead of sliding over it?

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

everthing seems to be seated correctly, the freewheel hub base sits snug against the hub/disc base and It all looks ok!

The nut and washer doesn't touch anything when the ADD flange is on But It seats against the splined portion of the lower freewheel hub base
                  when fitted!

Given that possibly the nut & washer is only last line of defence, How about i try
                  A/ remove the nut and washer and see if the noise goes away
                  b/ reduce the diameter of the washer so it doesn't bear on the the freewheel hub's spline .

Think this is one and the same actually, but I cannot see any reason
                  (although I'm open to suggestion) that this couldn't be done.

the freewheel hub base is still attached by six bolts to the hub/disc

Clutching at straws now!!

Neil

Comment

Is it Ok when you leave the bolt and washer out? if so, lose the lock washer on the bolt, or/and grind the nut thiner and use locktight on the nut.

Leaving the bolt out for some reason rings a bell from US website I've read from years back, not sure though.

If I remember right, the washer fitted to 4Runners/surfs with juat drive plates, isn't even as big as the shaft, so it doesn't do a lot in regards to holding things on.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers Tony

Think I'm gonna try that tomorrow! If any one sees a three wheeled surf in the Brize norton area stay well Clear!!
                      Neil

Comment

Have a look at this http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/...etal22lica.htm

I know it refers to Aisins but it may help to give you some ideas
                        Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                          Is it Ok when you leave the bolt and washer out? if so, lose the lock washer on the bolt, or/and grind the nut thiner and use locktight on the nut.

Leaving the bolt out for some reason rings a bell from US website I've read from years back, not sure though.

If I remember right, the washer fitted to 4Runners/surfs with juat drive plates, isn't even as big as the shaft, so it doesn't do a lot in regards to holding things on.

On my axle shaft the washer is slightly bigger than the overall diameter
                          of the shaft, just enough to bear on the revolving freewheel base spline and as this spline protrudes about 3-4mm PAST the end of the axle shaft When I torque the central 12mm bolt & washer It tightens the whole assembly!

Your dead right on the original drive flange It doesn't do Jack! As the flange doesn't come near the end of the axle shaft spline the washer doesn't have any contact with it at all!

My guess is the washer is a fitment on all IFS axle shafts to allow the swapping or fitment of Aisin hubs (which seem to locate better)

The AVM's seem different and I would be interested to see if Milners can tell me If this is correct. At the moment they are as baffled as i am!

Cheers

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by europa88
                            Thank Rich

At least it shows the bolt and washer, i'm not imagining It! Karl from milners seems to think I may have a snapring missing on the spline of the axle flange to stop movement of the brake disc/hub?? (as I can stop the disc turning by torquing this nut)He says it is about 1 inch along the axle shaft spline. I'm getting confused now cos how will that affect the movement if the bearing nuts and lock washers are torqued up?

Unfortunately the freewheeling hubs are not the original aisin type
                            which i would prefer, but Avm's which seem ok, but i noticed they do not reuse the cone washers.

Any way I'll have another look tomorrow and see if I can see this grooved ring in the axle shaft for a snapring! I'm loathe to remove the bearing nuts and locknuts unless I really need to.

Neil

I'm sure Karl is right about the snap ring missing but wrong about the effect on the disc/hub.The hub and disc are fixed together and adjusted by the two large nuts and lock washer.There is a snap ring and spacer that controls end float of the splined section of the shaft.If this is missing then I think the shaft can move back into the stub axle and that may be your problem.This would have the effect of shortening the shaft and cause the binding when you replace bolt and washer.

Screw the bolt and washer back in and using something to hold the washer try to pull the shaft outwards.I don't know if it will move as easy as this but if it does then you may see where the grove is if they do.Are both sides the same?Hope all this makes sense and if anyone thinks there is anything that I do not have right let me know.

Neville

Comment

Update on the axle shaft bolt saga!

Yes It does have a snapring to locate and more importantly to stop the axle shaft pulling through from the other side of the stub axle housing!
                              Thank you Nev!
                              This is also i believe the function of the bolt and washer as last line of defence.

A mechanic mate and me had a look, cos also It has developed a faint rumble from this area, we think it It is the phosphor bronze bushes on the other side of the housing which went a bit dry after being pulled through by the squeezing action of the freewheel hubs and got hot!

Next step is to remove the bolt and see if the rubbing noise goes away
                              I think It will ,then I think i will try to see if a slightly longer bolt and the use of some smaller diameter washers will pack it out enough to keep it away from the freewheel hub spline, but not foul under the top half of the freewheel hub! If all else fails I guess I will remove the bolt and washer.
                              Just the job for a freezing cold day!!

Cheers for all advice

Neil

Comment

Working...
                              X