Wobbly Idler Arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wobbly Idler Arm

Following my brown-trowsers moment on the way home yesterday, I've had a look under the car. All seems OK, except the idler arm. It seems loose...

Video of the idler arm

(That amount of play was without any movement in the other wheel!)
    I'm guessing that that would explain the sudden lurch to the side, especially if it hit a small lump first?

First question, how much play should the idler and pitman arms have?

Will the idler arm from a 92 2.4 fit my 95 3.0? Milner part numbers suggest that they will. If that's the case then I'll just borrow the ones off my 2.4 which is sitting un-used on the driveway.

Also, does anyone know if there is much difference between Milners and Roughtraxs Idler/Pitman arms? There is a big price difference between them. I replaced the Idler arm about 8 months ago, and bought it off ebay, seems it wasn't a good one.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Paul, dont believe there should be that amount of movement, also dont know if its the angle of the video but it looks like the idler arm has been bent up also from the off-roading.....this was problems with mine in the past from some of our jaunts
    Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
      Paul, dont believe there should be that amount of movement, also dont know if its the angle of the video but it looks like the idler arm has been bent up also from the off-roading.....this was problems with mine in the past from some of our jaunts
      It'll be the angle of the video Gaz, it's not bent.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Re

The bushes on the arm and connectors look "shot" to me.

Mine was doing the exact same and I replaced it.

It is tight as a ducks arse now and has no play!

Notably, it was causing a hell of a turn toward the verge when you took your hands off the wheel.

I put this down to "Surf Stuff" ahem, and learned to live with it as a lot of people seem to have had this problem before.

When the steering idler was replaced the "lean to left" disappeared, strange one that!!!!

It can drive for miles now as straight as a die.

Spend £35 and replace it mate!

I personally think that Roughtrax parts are better mate and that the proprietor, Barry seems to know his stuff.

He diagnosed my steering idler problem over the phone and he was "spot on".

Later!

Gary
        Last edited by hellmett; 7 July 2007, 22:25.

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett
          Spend £35 and replace it mate!

I personally think that Roughtrax parts are better mate and that the proprietor, Barry seems to know his stuff.

He diagnosed my steering idler problem over the phone and he was "spot on".

Later!

Gary
          Yup, I'll be doing a temporary swap over with my old Surf I think. Then I'll buy a Roughtrax one, but they're £72!
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

MILNERS ones are cr4p in comparison ROUGHTRAX are better quality & will last 10 times longer so its money well spent.
            Your BALLJOINT is STUFFED mate
            Last edited by marky; 8 July 2007, 21:31.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
              Yup, I'll be doing a temporary swap over with my old Surf I think. Then I'll buy a Roughtrax one, but they're £72!
              What price accurate steering??

I've just ordered a full set of track rods and new idler from roughtrax, expect delivery mon/tues.
              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Well, just placed an order with Roughtrax for a new arm and bushes. Hopefully they'll arrive on Tuesday.

I tried getting the one off my 2.4, but the damn thing seems to be too well corroded in place, can't get it to shift at all. I tried hitting it with a big hammer, hitting with a bigger hammer, swearing, using a blow-torch (although they don't hit things quite as hard as a hammer ) etc. Didn't budge an inch. In fact I've knackered the end of the bolt that connects onto the steering arm with all the hitting, so it's going to take some creative work to bolt it back together.
                Paul </Slugsie>
                Immortal.so far!

Comment

Well, just placed an order with Roughtrax for a new arm and bushes. Hopefully they'll arrive on Tuesday.

I tried getting the one off my 2.4, but the damn thing seems to be too well corroded in place, can't get it to shift at all. I tried hitting it with a big hammer, hitting with a bigger hammer, swearing, using a blow-torch (although they don't hit things quite as hard as a hammer ) etc. Didn't budge an inch. In fact I've knackered the end of the bolt that connects onto the steering arm with all the hitting, so it's going to take some creative work to bolt it back together.
                  Not wanting to pi$$ on yer chips, but (as I just found out) there is still a recall on Surfs and 4-Runners for that idler arm to be replaced F.O.C!

Mines booked in for next week(ish) as they are going to get the parts in, so that will be Toyota doing a free new arm and they can give it back with the tracking done too as the wheel is on the pi$$
                  Andrew

1994 4-runner 3.0TD

Comment

Its not the IDLER ARM from what ive heard
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

Its this http://dogandlemon.com/site/japanese...seno=RJ-1281-0
                      http://www.mlit.go.jp/jidosha/recall...yota10-262.gif
                      (\__/)
                      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                        Its not the IDLER ARM from what ive heard

Well that's what they are replacing, said he needed several parts (idler and pitman) plus some others so fingers crossed

I'll let you know, it'd better not think it's getting taken to Toyota for anything other than freebies, I need a turbo switch and I 'KNOW' that's going to hurt
                        Andrew

1994 4-runner 3.0TD

Comment

If they replace those parts for free you're Laughing mate
                          (\__/)
                          (")_(")

Comment

marky is right its relay rod , had mine done nothing else was changed
                            Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Just rteplaced my Pitman Arm.

I did the same as you. Tried several sizes of hammer until my mate lent me his pulling kit

Popped of no probs.

Think I may still have to replace the idler arm as there seems to still be a little play still in the linkage.

Taz

Comment

Working...
                              X