X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• viscous fans

HI ALL
    IM A NEW SURF OWNER AND HAVE A 94 3LT AUTO,
    ive heard rumours that i should change the viscous fan to a uk spec one to stop overheating problems is this the case or not,
    would be greatful for your assistance.
    thanks pete.

No this is not the case & there is not a UK spec one also look at this previous thread http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/sho...&highlight=fan
    The 3.0l surf does not suffer overheating & head problems the early 2.4 had a bad waterway design as the waterways were too close to the valve seats
    Last edited by marky; 15 February 2004, 18:53.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by pete wellman
      HI ALL
      IM A NEW SURF OWNER AND HAVE A 94 3LT AUTO,
      ive heard rumours that i should change the viscous fan to a uk spec one to stop overheating problems is this the case or not,
      would be greatful for your assistance.
      thanks pete.
      Hi Pete,
      Are you having overheating problems ? Any car can overheat if something is not working correctly with the cooling system. 3.0's are not immune to cracked heads, they are just not as common. Look here
      http://pub12.ezboard.com/ftoyotasurfdownunderfrm15

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
        Hi Pete,
        Are you having overheating problems ? Any car can overheat if something is not working correctly with the cooling system. 3.0's are not immune to cracked heads, they are just not as common. Look here
        http://pub12.ezboard.com/ftoyotasurfdownunderfrm15

Pete
        just had a quick look at the down under site and l think when they are saying the "3LT" engine they mean the 2.8 none turbo, the 3.0litre is know as the "KZN" series engine. Sorry if l have jumped the gun buy not reading all of the thread.
        Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux
          just had a quick look at the down under site and l think when they are saying the "3LT" engine they mean the 2.8 none turbo, the 3.0litre is know as the "KZN" series engine. Sorry if l have jumped the gun buy not reading all of the thread.
          think he means 3 lt as an abbreviation of litre...
          besides, the KZN185 is the 3rd gen chassis, the engine would be a 1kz-te
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Just to clarify things Bob, it's definately 3 litres they refer to. There is no 2.8 section on the site.
            http://pub12.ezboard.com/btoyotasurfdownunder

Comment

If the fan is not giving problems then I wouldn't touch it at all. You can test it like this.

Basicly the fan should turn fairly freely by hand when the engine is cold and/or at higher revs. The fluid clutch should make the fan harder to turn if the engine is hot- you really do have to leap out the car and do this test before the assembly has a chance to cool too much. So free when cold - stiffer when hot.

The fluid/viscous clutch fan is a basicaly fuel saving device. As the engine revs increase the fluid clutch allows the fan to 'slip' so the engine is not wasting fuel turning a big fan round- all this assumes you are doing motorway speeds when reving high so plenty plenty of air ought to flowing past the rad (they didn't think about reving hard in off road situations when you're go slow.....).

If you think the fan is not functioning properly then the silcone fluid inside it may have seeped away (which could easliy have happened in a 10 year old car). The instructions for refill/repair are here:

http://slowspeed.com/repair/fanclutch.html

It's a relatively easy job- hardest thing is getting the fan out. The bottles of silcone oil are about £8 each from your friendly local Toyota dealer- you will need two or three bottles to refill depending how much oil you've lost. I repaired my fan this way last year (1993 3.0L) all the silicone oil was gone in mine.

A fully funtioning fluid clutch fan is also important if you're after that few extra mpg.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                If the fan is not giving problems then I wouldn't touch it at all. You can test it like this.

Basicly the fan should turn fairly freely by hand when the engine is cold and/or at higher revs. The fluid clutch should make the fan harder to turn if the engine is hot- you really do have to leap out the car and do this test before the assembly has a chance to cool too much. So free when cold - stiffer when hot.

The fluid/viscous clutch fan is a basicaly fuel saving device. As the engine revs increase the fluid clutch allows the fan to 'slip' so the engine is not wasting fuel turning a big fan round- all this assumes you are doing motorway speeds when reving high so plenty plenty of air ought to flowing past the rad (they didn't think about reving hard in off road situations when you're go slow.....).

If you think the fan is not functioning properly then the silcone fluid inside it may have seeped away (which could easliy have happened in a 10 year old car). The instructions for refill/repair are here:

It's a relatively easy job- hardest thing is getting the fan out. The bottles of silcone oil are about £8 each from your friendly local Toyota dealer- you will need two or three bottles to refill depending how much oil you've lost. I repaired my fan this way last year (1993 3.0L) all the silicone oil was gone in mine.

A fully funtioning fluid clutch fan is also important if you're after that few extra mpg.
                Can you hear the fan roaring when it kicks in after re-filling the fluid?
                Mines being done this week. It spins all the time, but not fast enough.
                Pete

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99

When the motor is warm the viscous fluid in the fan clutch is warmer so the fan Easier to turn by hand. When the engine is cold the fluid is thicker making the fan harder to turn by hand.
                  [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                  [size=5][/size]
                  [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                    think he means 3 lt as an abbreviation of litre...
                    besides, the KZN185 is the 3rd gen chassis, the engine would be a 1kz-te
                    Yeah but the 2nd Gen with the 1KZTE engine (3.0) is also a KZN. It's a KZN130.

Cheers

Comment

Bob

The engine in some Aussie Hi-Lux vehicles is a 3L / 2.8 Litre.There can be some confusion in the way some describe the engine types.Some will put 3LT for 3 Litre and others will desribe it as 3.0 L.

There is no section on the Aussie site for the 3L / 2.8 although they may get a mention every now and then.The new Aussie site now has both model and engine size listed to try and avoid confusion.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
                        Can you hear the fan roaring when it kicks in after re-filling the fluid?
                        Mines being done this week. It spins all the time, but not fast enough.
                        Pete
                        Yes there was a noticable difference after I fixed the fan. The engine is noisier when I boot it but at least I'm happy it won't overheat through fan failure!!
                        Last edited by laser_jock99; 17 February 2004, 22:21.

Comment

Working...
                        X