Excessive Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive Smoke

I've been told by a few people now that when I drive my surf it smokes like crazy, and it could be oil in the turbo. I know they do smoke quite a bit but I've noticed in the dark that people behind me can hardly be seen though the smoke.

How do I check (if its possible) for oil in the turbo?
    When the going gets tough...The Surf gets going!!!

What colour is the smoke?
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

They all look like they are smoking when there are following lights at night

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
        What colour is the smoke?
        I think its black normally when I put my foot down and the turbo kicks in it belches out the smoke

Comment

Mine was belching a little recently. I had increased the flow by turning that screw on the pump, which I have now turned back. It still was smoking. I have now filled the filter with the blue Redex and the throttle is crisper to respond and smoke is reduced, a lot. Even upon starting. I no longer emit that black soot upon caning it.

Comment

Have you had any problems with anything by putting the redex in the filter?

Comment

It could be dirty injectors, so a full bottle of redex in half a tank of fuel should help.

I'd try the redex 1st as it's a cheap fix.
              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

None whatsoever. Get it from Wilkinsons, they have a deal on at the moment.

Comment

Well I had the Surf MOT'd today and it failedon excessive level of metered smoke, the reading was at 5.43 where the maximum should be 3, any ideas what the problem is as it never recovered from the first post on here. I'm going to do the EGR mod to see if that helps but I think its something more serious now.

Comment

Did you change filters ?

Give it a hefty dose of injector cleaner ?

Treat it to some veg with the diesel ?

Drive it like you nicked when you took it to the test centre ?

Trev
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Turn back the screw on the top of the fuel pump a little to see if this helps. This will reduce the fuel flow.

Comment

Originally posted by ninja_king
                        I've been told by a few people now that when I drive my surf it smokes like crazy, and it could be oil in the turbo. I know they do smoke quite a bit but I've noticed in the dark that people behind me can hardly be seen though the smoke.

How do I check (if its possible) for oil in the turbo?
                        The missus's surf smokes quite bad, normally reads 2.5 on the smoke meter test. it could be one of 3 problems i'm told.

1) dirty injectors

2) Faulty injector pump

3) Low compression

Redex is cheap way to trying to clear blocked injectors. I had the missus's reconned 18 months ago cost £145.
                        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by coolsv650
                          The missus's surf smokes quite bad, normally reads 2.5 on the smoke meter test. it could be one of 3 problems i'm told.

1) dirty injectors

2) Faulty injector pump

3) Low compression

Redex is cheap way to trying to clear blocked injectors. I had the missus's reconned 18 months ago cost £145.
                          I've tried loads of redex but it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference, I had the filters changed only late last year, I might try putting veg oil in but how much do I put in? Where are the injectors and are they easy to take out and clean?

Comment

Originally posted by The Hornet
                            Turn back the screw on the top of the fuel pump a little to see if this helps. This will reduce the fuel flow.
                            Where do I find the fuel pump? I'm a complete novice, I found another post with a picture of where it is but it didn't make any sense to me, what tools do I need to adjust the screw?

Comment

I think there is something to be said for the "hard drive" approach..Mine's always been a bit of a smoker, but probably no more than most..The advise i've always been given is to give the car a damned good thrashing (public school accent) before taking it for it's MOT..The fella at the test centre said he'd not often get a big diesel lump through an emmissions test on the first "purge" of the throttle anyhow..

Mine too gives off a blanket of haze at night when seen from the mirrors, but being backlit, it's gonna look a whole lot worse from your persepective..I'd really just find a quietish bit of road, lock it into a low gear then let the engine rev higher than it would normally (being an auto, it never gets to stretch it's legs properly)..Give it a few hard boots and you'll be surprised at how much sooty smoke you'll chuck out..Hopefully it'll start to clear a bit..Last time i did a fuel filter change, i got some stuff from "roughtrax" to put into the new filter..Probably similar to redex, but used "neat", so maybe more effective..

Oh, i was advised to change the airfilter too if i suspected it was gonna choke the machine to death, so might be worth a try. (some suggest removing the air filter for the test, but, ermmmm, i'll pass on that one)

Comment

Working...
                              X