Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $$$$ty Brakes

Hi guys,
    THis is to deal with my ability to STOP with my hilux surf...it just doesn't. The wierd thing is that the tyres just lock-up all the time (I don't have ABS) but I know how to modulate the peddle.

I currently have 265 tyres on 15 inch rims which by the width should be pretty hard stoppers no? I do note that the cars got stupid drum brakes at the rear and small little discs in front.

Now my question is this, does the size of your brakes determine the lock-up point or is it purely a function of the tyres? I got 265 up front for heavens sake and my stopping is so much worst than my LS400 on 205s!!!

If I change the brakes to supra brakes will it stop my tyres from locking up so much? Or is there something wrong with my tyres (all 4 are brand new with proper pressure btw) but are semi off-road tyres.

My mind is cast back to a BBC Top Gear moment where Clarkson test the Mclaren SLR and almost got his face ripped off when he tried to brake from 200mph. I'd like that feeling and security, not some train of a surf that I'm driving now. How do I get it??? the brakes?? can't be the tyres....265!!! New!!

Anyway, any feedback would be great.

Ryan

It's a 2-tonne truck...

My brakes work fine, given the weight, but it is a big, heavy vehicle - it doesn't stop as quickly as (for instance) the management's Golf GTI.

If you want something that takes your contact lenses out when you hit the middle pedal, buy something else.
    Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

same here

yeah, sounds like my situation. I tend to lock the front up at the merest hint of a damp road. I am wondering if the front brakes are doing all the work because my load sensor if slightly out. If thats the case, I am *guessing* the back brakes are not engaging as strongly as the front thus the front lock up.

Heather pretty much won't drive it because she isnt happy with the brakes. BONUS!!!!
      If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by rparker
        Hi guys......
        Anyway, any feedback would be great.

Ryan
        You say its got stupid little discs, then you say it locks up the brakes all the time, what do you want from it??

If both are locking up look at your tyres, offroad tyres won't stop like road bias tyres, if you wheel is locking up its got a sticky caliper.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster
          yeah, sounds like my situation. I tend to lock the front up at the merest hint of a damp road. I am wondering if the front brakes are doing all the work because my load sensor if slightly out. If thats the case, I am *guessing* the back brakes are not engaging as strongly as the front thus the front lock up.

Heather pretty much won't drive it because she isnt happy with the brakes. BONUS!!!!

Do you pull the hand brake on when you park up? If you don't, then the rear shoes won't be adjusted properly.

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster

taken from your profice
            "Vehicle: '92 2.4 SSR-X submarine in Burgundiddly-doo, slightly damp....."

...... Or are the drums full of mud.... water. etc?
            Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Working...
            X