Fuel heater, assistance required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel heater, assistance required

just bought a fuel heater from Germany, and it's based on a heat exchange with my coolant water. But there are also two glow plugs which do the heating while the coolant gets up to temp. Also provided is a fancy switch to shut the thing off if I choose to run normal diesel. Now I've read the instructions provided here http://www.kopany.de/energie/einbau_...z_saverbee.htm which make some sense (it's handy to read and write bad english sometimes) but I'd just like to run through a few points before I go mad. Attatched is a pic of the system and notes as to what I think each part does. As you can see I'm not sure about the I'm not totally sure where the red wire to the switch goes too, I'm guessing it's a positive feed, but not sure where from. If anyone can help then many thanks
    Last edited by captain_chaos; 5 June 2007, 21:13. Reason: couldn't get pic to upload properly
    Hold my beer and watch this

Originally posted by captain_chaos
    just bought a fuel heater from Germany, and it's based on a heat exchange with my coolant water. But there are also two glow plugs which do the heating while the coolant gets up to temp. Also provided is a fancy switch to shut the thing off if I choose to run normal diesel. Now I've read the instructions provided here http://www.kopany.de/energie/einbau_...z_saverbee.htm which make some sense (it's handy to read and write bad english sometimes) but I'd just like to run through a few points before I go mad. Attatched is a pic of the system and notes as to what I think each part does. As you can see I'm not sure about the I'm not totally sure where the red wire to the switch goes too, I'm guessing it's a positive feed, but not sure where from. If anyone can help then many thanks
    If I where you I would take the positive from the ign, as far as I can see it is only to operate the relay and you would only want this working when the ignition is on anyway
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

yeah I guessed it would come from somewhere that was on when the trucks running. Would I have to do the same with the wire running to the exchanger? or just connect straight to the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos
        yeah I guessed it would come from somewhere that was on when the trucks running. Would I have to do the same with the wire running to the exchanger? or just connect straight to the battery?
        Straight from the Batteryas it needs a high current feed, no prob as its got a fuse built in
        If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

thanks, going to have a play later on and find which wire on the igintion to tap into.

Comment

How much and why the German 1?
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by The Hornet
              How much and why the German 1?
              Thanks
              was £95 plus about £12.50 postage. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vegetable-Oil-...QQcmdZViewItem
              It's the only one I could find that had an electric heater for when the engine's cold, then switch the collant pipes when they're up to temperature

Comment

Allegedly this does the same: http://www.vow2.co.uk/

I'm sorely tempted by product "F" allegedly it does my truck.

Comment

Allegedly this does the same: http://www.vow2.co.uk/

I'm sorely tempted by product "F" allegedly it does my truck.
                  looks good, but you can't switch off entirely and so can't run 100% diesel. Unless you splice in stop valves on the water pipes, then you could turn off the the heat supply to it.

Comment

Would there be a problem heating normal Derv and running on it then? I thought this was one of the selling points of the fuel cat, that heats derv and improves running or performance, so I hear.

Comment

Would there be a problem heating normal Derv and running on it then? I thought this was one of the selling points of the fuel cat, that heats derv and improves running or performance, so I hear.
                      I'm not too sure on that, I've read differing views on heating normal derv.

Comment

Working...
                      X