caliper refurb kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caliper refurb kit?

ie, seals and gaiters, does anybody know of a place that they can be obtained with out going to the stealers and paying the best part of 40 squid. tried the normal places with no luck.....
    CHEERS JOHN................

Here's a 'how to'

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/brakecalipers.htm

The kit should be available from your nearest auto factors. Ask for a Toyota 4Runner caliper service kit.

Comment

Thanks for the link vince, although the problem isnt removing and replacment but finding a kit to refurb, i have asked a few places including the normal motor factors to roughtrax and milners but none have a kit to do the job. I have used the existing seals and gaiters for now but new ones would be a good idea.

Comment

What have you asked for though? The Surf specifically?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
          What have you asked for though? The Surf specifically?
          When contacting roughtrax and milners i asked for the surf! when contacting motor factors i have asked for either 4 runner or pick-up. none of them even know of a kit for any car, which is funny cause i seem to remember having one for a cortina many years ago.
          but i have one last place to try brfore giving up who i forgot about.

Comment

Originally posted by slim
            When contacting roughtrax and milners i asked for the surf! when contacting motor factors i have asked for either 4 runner or pick-up. none of them even know of a kit for any car, which is funny cause i seem to remember having one for a cortina many years ago.
            but i have one last place to try brfore giving up who i forgot about.

Most factors over here stopped stocking seal/refurb kits for calipers and master cylinders years ago, reckoned they were no longer safe to sell as too many people were using them incorrectly or attempting to refurb items which were to badly worn/pitted/corroded etc.
            I'm not suggesting you're trying to refurb something you shouldn't, just offering a possible explanation for your difficulty in obtaining parts.
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I think Toyota is the only place you mght get a seal kit, they had part numbers for all the bits in a 3rd gen caliper last time I was there.

Like has been said, not many places sell parts for caliper and master cylinders any more.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks guys will use existing ones this time round, new ones needed next time theres a problem i rekon....

Comment

If it costs nearly £40 for the repair kit, you might as well pay £90 and get a brand new caliper??!
                  Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                    If it costs nearly £40 for the repair kit, you might as well pay £90 and get a brand new caliper??!
                    Thats correct, but i was hoping to find a alternative supply to the stealers to see if there could be vast drop in price after all its only a few rubbers!!

I have found a website that does sell some service kits, but they are limited and are listed as to the caliper type/manufacture rather than the vehicle type. i think they are more for the performance type car,s rather than the 4 x 4 type vehicles....

Comment

Was in the local motor factors today, so asked about your kit, they said they can get it but will need casting code that should be stamped on the caliper.

Their contact details are; East Kent Components Ltd., 01843-225288

If they can get them but can't ship them, let me know and I'll pick them up and post them to you.
                      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Another one that may be worth trying is Dearne Motor Spares. They tend to be a helpful factors, and they ain't too far from you. They're in Wath.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info, ive rebuilt them with the original kit, but if the gaiters let in water again i will consider the rebuild kit option.

matt ref- dearne motor spares, are they on doncaster rd or barnsley rd??

Comment

Originally posted by slim
                            Thanks guys for the info, ive rebuilt them with the original kit, but if the gaiters let in water again i will consider the rebuild kit option.

matt ref- dearne motor spares, are they on doncaster rd or barnsley rd??
                            16 Barnsley Road. Tel No: (01709) 760139

Comment

The parts cat lists for my gen 2 2lte the fol part nos.

There is a Maintenance kit that includes master pump, calipers and the rear wheel kits

004901-35200 brake maintenance kit

4493-60280 master cylinder kit
                              04479-60020 Cylinder Kit Disk Brake, Front (piston diameter 45.4MM)
                              04474-26030 Cup Kit Rear Wheel Cylinder
                              LN130 2LTE Auto

Comment

Working...
                              X