Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I start to feel a bit of vibration through the truck, at the time I couldn't get any idea where it was coming from now I have a rumbling noise from the rear axle and when I have jacked it up and turned the wheel there is a good bit of free turn both ways (both wheels) before it actually turns the opposite wheel and the other wheel is turning the same way instead of opposite direction. the internals all sound really rough and loose when the wheels are rocked back and forth.

Is the diff knackered?

Any ideas of costs involved in replacement.

I've never done anything with diffs before so know nothing about them.

Regards

Mark

sounds like a poorly diff mate, but just to be sure check the universal prop shaft joints, just hold both sides of the joint and twist, there shouldnt be any movement.
    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply.
      I've just checked and the rear UJ is knackered, flopping about like a... well like really floppy thing .

Still not sure about the diff.

Comment

wheels turning same way shows that the diff is a limited slip differential,
        however, if you have a 163,000 mile 4runner like me, the limited slip bit wont be working anymore!
        but functions like an open diff,

I get a bit of slack in system before other wheel turns, but no serious vibration - so most likely to be that UJ joint on the prop that is the culprit, and much much cheaper to replace than a diff! - parts around £10
        Landcruiser Colorado
        Sub. Forester

Comment

Yup the rear UJ is totally gone broken into 2 completely seperate parts.

Is it fairly easy to replace?

I have 142000 on the clock, so if the wheels are turning together it likely the LSD is still working?

That would explain the the arse out action in the wet weather.
          Last edited by Saluqi; 3 May 2007, 20:01.

Comment

yes UJ normally easy to replace - best to do a search on these forums to find a guide

the wheels on my truck both turn same way, so there is some friction left in clutch plates,

BUT if one back wheel jacked off ground, or in mud or snow, and other one grippy ground, the truck goes nowhere!
            the wheel in air or slippy surfaces spins, if LSD working properly some of the power should be transferred to grippy wheel
            so clutch plates too worn in my diff

sometimes there is enough friction in the diff to allow both back wheels to spin in wet, snow or on gravel though
            Landcruiser Colorado
            Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
            X