Electric fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric fan

Anyone know where i can get an electric fan to fit the 1KZ-TE?
    as a replacement for the viscous one?
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Originally posted by dabigman
    Anyone know where i can get an electric fan to fit the 1KZ-TE?
    as a replacement for the viscous one?
    Don't do it.Get the viscous fan fixed.

Neville

Comment

I agree, viscous fans are easy to fit and provide more capacity of air.

Comment

yeah, but they take power from the engine to run.... there's nothing wrong with the viscous one, just want electric

Comment

yeah, but they take power from the engine to run.... there's nothing wrong with the viscous one, just want electric
          Also you can disable an elec. fan if you,re driving thru water otherwise it's just a big propellor throwing dirty water all over your engine bay
          Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Power is Power!
            Whether it is a direct mechanical drive or electrical, the fan needs to move (force) X ammount of air in a given time (work done ).
            Now this is where it gets even better........... There are efficiency losses in the generation and consumption of electricity.
            SO...........Direct mechanical drive is MORE efficient than electrical.

I do agree with the bit about turning it off so it does not become a propellor, however that small problem can be overcome with a small tarp across the bow prior to entering deep water, and to be perfectly honest if the water is deep enough to be a problem for your radiator fan then you had better be sure that your truck is set up for wading. i.e snorkel, diff breathers, waterproofing electrics etc.

I am not saying yours is not as I have never seen it, I am just pointing out some other pitfalls.

At the end it is your choice whether to go electric or stay with the viscous.
            For me it is VISCOUS!!!!!
            Last edited by simono; 9 February 2004, 06:07.
            Simon.O.
            '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by simono
              Power is Power!
              Whether it is a direct mechanical drive or electrical, the fan needs to move (force) X ammount of air in a given time (work done ).
              Now this is where it gets even better........... There are efficiency losses in the generation and consumption of electricity.

I do agree with the bit about turning it off so it does not become a propellor, however that small problem can be overcome with a small tarp across the bow prior to entering deep water, and to be perfectly honest if the water is deep enough to be a problem for your radiator fan then you had better be sure that your truck is set up for wading. i.e snorkel, diff breathers, waterproofing electrics etc.

I am not saying yours is not as I have never seen it, I am just pointing out some other pitfalls.

For me, both of them are potential problem sources and I'd rather have a direct driven fan - i.e. without the viscous coupling. It's just another one to go wrong.

However the point Tony made about being able to switch it off is a very valid one.

Kenlowe do various sizes of fans and you can getr them from quite a lot of places.

On the later 2.4 you get the viscous fan and an electric one in front of the radiator.

I would do a search for Kenlowe Fans on the Web, I am sure you can get one with a universal mount kit. Go for the biggest one you can fit.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by simono
                Power is Power!

so, how comes you never notice a power loss when using electric fans?
                but always do with the viscous?
                it's easier to tell if the electric fan's working too.
                i don't want it as an off road mod... just a bit more power freom the engine and a few more mpg's

Comment

Matt, you want Kenlowe or Pacet, both make elec fans. Have a Kenlowe pusher sitting in the garage, Kenlowe list fans for the 4Runner, V6 and 3.0TD.

Go and look around a breakers yard, most cars have electric fans, your not towing 2ton trailers across the 100deg desert all day, you really don't need that amount of cooling.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    Matt, you want Kenlowe or Pacet, both make elec fans. Have a Kenlowe pusher sitting in the garage, Kenlowe list fans for the 4Runner, V6 and 3.0TD.

Go and look around a breakers yard, most cars have electric fans, your not towing 2ton trailers across the 100deg desert all day, you really don't need that amount of cooling.

saves buggering about with the radiator for the lift too!!... just gonna take off the lower cowling for now!

Comment

Been there done with the largest Pacet fan avalible it overheated under load keep to viscous
                      ionic SURFactant

Comment

doesn't anyone read the question? i know the ins and outs of fans.. i want to know where i can buy one!
                        and mine overheats with the viscous anyway, so no change there... jap piece of ****e

Comment

doesn't anyone read the question? i know the ins and outs of fans.. i want to know where i can buy one!
                          and mine overheats with the viscous anyway, so no change there... jap piece of ****e
                          Try www.pacet.co.uk or www.kenlowe.com. You will need to give them a ring but by telling them exactly the spec required then they will tell you what you need and how much it will cost.

Cheers

Comment

Or you could try here

http://www.larkspeed.com/pages/produ...nlowe_fan.html

Cheers

Comment

cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X