tailgate window got stuck down :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tailgate window got stuck down :(

Yesterday the window worked fine, but today in the carpark of Homebase (having just bought 2 large bits of trellis ) the tailgate window glass refused to slide down. With 2 people pushing I finally got it open.

At home I had to clamber inside and force it shut with my wife pushing the glass from the outside. The motor is working just fine, it whirs away merrily but nothing is moving at all unless helped by pushing, at which point it will slide slowly about 1/2 way up or down, but not fully open or close.

Can I remove the whole assembly, and what should I clean / oil / grease / hit with hammer to make it work again? I've got the interior trim off and it all looks a bit rusty in there.

Also, how can I trick it into thinking the tailgate is shut so I can work the motor with the tailgate open? Currently it just bleeps at me.

thanks
    James

Yo need to use the search function, there's lads of threads on this. I found out how to service my window this way. It was acting up like yours but now runs as moist as a chav after some Vodka Wkds.

Comment

Originally posted by JimSuperSix
      Yesterday the window worked fine, but today in the carpark of Homebase (having just bought 2 large bits of trellis ) the tailgate window glass refused to slide down. With 2 people pushing I finally got it open.

At home I had to clamber inside and force it shut with my wife pushing the glass from the outside. The motor is working just fine, it whirs away merrily but nothing is moving at all unless helped by pushing, at which point it will slide slowly about 1/2 way up or down, but not fully open or close.

Can I remove the whole assembly, and what should I clean / oil / grease / hit with hammer to make it work again? I've got the interior trim off and it all looks a bit rusty in there.

Also, how can I trick it into thinking the tailgate is shut so I can work the motor with the tailgate open? Currently it just bleeps at me.

thanks
      James
      when the tailgate is open on each side you will find the lock catches double click each one then you can operate the window with the tailgate down.Just give the runners a good clean up and grease and check the motor is all working ok. Give the side window guides a good clean with a small screwdriver to get any crud out and then spray with a silicon spray to lubricate them and then put everythng back together again.Don't forget to pull the handle to unlock the tailgate before slamming it shut
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

re

Ive just had the same thing happen to mine. its likely to be the gearbox part of the motor. often the teeth wear off the cog in the gearbox, but with mine it was the rubber clutch mechanism that had deteriorated and was just slipping.

I was lucky enough to obtain another motor from a top lad (Sledge) on here and make one good one from the two motors. he may even have another, not sure.

if youre really stuck you could maybe swap motors around from one of the rear passenger doors for the time being.

the thread is here rear window thread

when it comes to removing the motor i found the easiest way to get at it was from inside with the window up, that way theres plenty of room to get your hand in, you need an 8mm spanner. its still a little fiddly, but you can reach & feel the bolts without too much trouble.
        Biggus Truckus..

Comment

Don't suppose the sunroof motor is the same as the tailgate one is it? I know the cog is different but can I just swap it onto the sunroof motor? My electric sunroof is not working (stripped worm drives) but the motor is fine, shame to waste it....

Comment

Both passenger side motors are the same as the rear one, I used my own rear passenger door motor to replace my rear window motor ( as the r/n/s window gets used very rarely) untill I sourced a replacement.

I installed a piece of 2"x1" ( about 16" long) timber to hold/lock the r/n/s window in the closed position.

I got my replacement motor from ebay for about £35.00 plus postage.

Hope this helps.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

you can also use the drivers side motor aswell but will have to turn it 180deg's to fit
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
              X