Stiff Bonnet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiff Bonnet

Beautiful day in Ireland. The hinges on my bonnet are really stiff and I sprayed WD40 into the gap where the hinges go into. But how do I get to the actual moving part of the hinges.Any help would be great. Thanks. Colm

Common problem on Runners and Surfs . Hinge point is up behind scuttle panel and not easy to get at . Apart from removing the hinges and lubricating , I dont think you can get to them to spray anything on them .Left un lubbed the hinges seize and the bonnet gets bent .Best remove bonnet from hinges and then remove the hinges to lubricate . Tricky to remove bonnet with hinges attached .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Thanks, I didnt think it would be an easy job. A bit of a pain in the ass and ill need someone else to help hold the bonnet. Ist bad of toyota not to have them exposed.

Comment

Originally posted by irishoffroad
        Thanks, I didnt think it would be an easy job. A bit of a pain in the ass and ill need someone else to help hold the bonnet. Ist bad of toyota not to have them exposed.
        Taken my bonnet off and on by myself before . Just put some sort of padding under each corner and undo the bolts and then the same the other side . Little tricky but possible .
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I'd sat don't use WD40, as it is really only for freeing up rusted parts.

Use a silicone lubricant or copper greas, once you've cleaned the hinges, it will last a lot longer.
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Thanks guys. got it sorted now.

Comment

Working...
            X