steering relay rod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering relay rod?

was just reading on the Aus site re this relay rod thing, sounds quite scary. whats the score over here, sounds like Toyota were doing it for nothing? I'm trying to contact the guy I bought it from to see if he had it done, but as he's emigrated to NZ that might take some time.

is there any way i can tell if its been done by looking at the parts?

p.s if im gonna have to do it, i wish i'd known before my ATF cooler!!
    Biggus Truckus..

Originally posted by kevsta
    was just reading on the Aus site re this relay rod thing, sounds quite scary. whats the score over here, sounds like Toyota were doing it for nothing? I'm trying to contact the guy I bought it from to see if he had it done, but as he's emigrated to NZ that might take some time.

is there any way i can tell if its been done by looking at the parts?

p.s if im gonna have to do it, i wish i'd known before my ATF cooler!!
    do a search for recall and you should find some telephone numbers.Give them a ring and you should be told whether or not yours need doing
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

re

already established from serial numbers that it needed doing, but obviously I wasnt the owner then and it may have been done. did Toyota Gb use the yellow daub of paint when doing the work over here?

also if previous owner did the work at his own cost, it may not have been marked. just interested to see if theres anyway of identifying by looking at the rod.

as if i havent got enough to do...
      Biggus Truckus..

Comment

already established from serial numbers that it needed doing, but obviously I wasnt the owner then and it may have been done. did Toyota Gb use the yellow daub of paint when doing the work over here?

also if previous owner did the work at his own cost, it may not have been marked. just interested to see if theres anyway of identifying by looking at the rod.

as if i havent got enough to do...
        there was no paint on mine when it was done.I'll try to get a decent pic tomorrow and then you can see if it's the same as yours.
        The only differance that i know of and that at one end of it is slightly differant shape to the old one

Comment

Just had mine done today and they have put a red sticker on my vin plate .

Best bet would be to call toyota gb and they will be able to tell you if the works has or needs to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkwind
            Just had mine done today and they have put a red sticker on my vin plate .

Best bet would be to call toyota gb and they will be able to tell you if the works has or needs to be done.
            You must have decent toyota dealerships up there cause i fell out with the one that done my recall dur to the damage they done to mine

Comment

ah..

of course, Toyota GB would know if they've already done it..

..good thinking Batman hehe wonder what they'll make of my brand new ATF Cooler conversion if it needs to go in..

thx guys
              Biggus Truckus..

Comment

to save you searching..

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                there was no paint on mine when it was done.I'll try to get a decent pic tomorrow and then you can see if it's the same as yours.
                The only differance that i know of and that at one end of it is slightly differant shape to the old one
                do you mean these?

recall kit differences
                Biggus Truckus..

Comment

do you mean these?

recall kit differences
                  yea thats the ones

Comment

cool

ok thanks, further investigations required..

good job i love this f***ing thing already as it looks like im gonna be spending most of the rest of my life working on it
                    Biggus Truckus..

Comment

ok thanks, further investigations required..

good job i love this f***ing thing already as it looks like im gonna be spending most of the rest of my life working on it
                      lol.....i know what you mean

Comment

Don't ship it to Lookers at Rayleigh, they are only good with horses.

Comment

right, more advice please guys?

ok, so have been in touch with Toyota GB who are saying that it will take min 14 days to get the OK for them to do this, probably more like a month, and I dont have that time, i'm leaving a week today (tuesday).

I had a look at the bar (as well as you can with it in place) and it looks ok, no cracks anywhere.

have you guys all had it done, or are loads of you driving around with the old unchanged relay rod in place too? basically do you think I need to spend the money & half a day grovelling around under it on bitch of a job to do this before I leave?

do we actually know of anyone who has had this break apart from one guy on the Aussie forum, or am I just scaring myself?

Toyota want £115 for the bar and all the hassle of changing it, how likely is it in your opinions that it will really ever break? after all it's gone 15 years without doing so, and most of you guys have ragged yours around some really rough offroading tracks with the old bar in place?

whaddaya reckon?
                          Biggus Truckus..

Comment

Working...
                          X