Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamned gearbox

Hi guys

When I go on a long drive (500km) the gear box gets hot and I lose 1st, 3rd and 5th gears after a 100k's or so - just can't get into them - and have to pull away in 2nd, keeping revs and speed low until the box cools abit and allows me to get it into 5th.

This all started after I had the box dropped in Zimbabwe and replaced some bearings. Driving around town it's OK - sometimes a little sticky in the early mornings but otherwise fully functional. I think the guy who did my box left out a couple of shims or just fitted everything together too tight.

Anyway, I don't want to drop the box again (zero wonga), so is there anything I can fill the gear box with, Molyslip etc, that will keep the gears cooler than normal oil and/or allow the gears to change even when the box gets hot?
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Hi Enzo,

Continuing bad news then - and following on from previous threads.

The problem with gearboxes is that no one gives them a second thought - they get beaten to hell and back - and when they go wrong its big time bad.

If pennies are tight, you're gonna have to have a looksee yourself. Manual boxes are not as complex as you'd think.

Some shafts, synchros, sleeves and bearings.

Get the manual and have a look. If its your daily drive then that's another story - just thought - it is your DD

Go on mate - have a look - the additives don't work that good.

Post us the spec of your gearbox then we can start to look for the manuals.
    Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 30 March 2007, 00:40.
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Sounds like the sychros are getting to hot, expanding a little and jamming.

Try and get some Red Line synthetic gear oil, this did wonders for shifting of a notchy gearbox in my old pickup. It might help you.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Boyo!

I don't know which gearbox I have (i think someone helpfully posted it in the past but i've lost my notes) but my vehicle is a'94 3L manual:

KZN130R - GKMSXW

Vin: JT111GND008001855

I have a Toy Manual: RM1585 but it does not give the gear no./type for the KZN series but it does cover the G52 & R150F transmissions.

The vehicle is my daily drive - so I can't start poking around in it's guts: I'll have to save up and find a GOOD gearbox fundi. Honestly, roads here in EA really hammer your car: I've also got engine mountings to do again before we drive to Durban, SA, this summer...Christ it just mounts up!
        Last edited by bundubasher; 30 March 2007, 08:07. Reason: add txt
        @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Thanks - I doubt if I can get fully synth gear oil outside of SA but I'll try. Otherwise I'll just have bite the bullet and sell my wife's clothes/shoes!
          @africa4x4cafe

Comment

OK, seems it was NiftyNev of Oz (many thanks again) who ID'd the gearbox as a R150.
            @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Originally posted by bundubasher
              OK, seems it was NiftyNev of Oz (many thanks again) who ID'd the gearbox as a R150.
              Yeah, it should be the same as any Surf, 4Runner and later Pickup.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Not sure if any of these might be helpful, but these are some manuals one of the chaps on the OZ site donated for download:

http://outgoing.bauchan.org/toyota_s...epair_manuals/

Comment

Thanks Matt

Well we're pretty definately coming back to the UK this summer. My wife is talking to Comic Relief and I'm talking to Raleigh International - let's see what pans out!

Anyway - latest mad idea from my wife: Drive Home! (Of course I am secretly cheering her on and trying to keep a straight face...) 2 months should see us in Blighty but I'm going to have to do some more creative accounting with the figures just to make sure that we can afford it and sell her her own idea, although if you all start getting begging letters from Sierra Leone you'll know that I c o c k e d up somewhere!

So am going to have to do it properly if I do it at all - and that means getting a qualified mech. to look at it as I'll just bungle the job!

By the way, one of the lights you gave me has parted company: b asically the vibrations & potholes have caused the grey alu. case to split around the swivel mounts steel backing plate and so the light was dangling by it's wires until I could stop the car. Making a plan with some thin steel sheet at the mo. lots of riveting should fix it!
                  @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                    Not sure if any of these might be helpful, but these are some manuals one of the chaps on the OZ site donated for download:

http://outgoing.bauchan.org/toyota_s...epair_manuals/
                    The R151 manual should help. As far as I know the only difference between a R150 and the R151 is first and second gear ratios.

Nev

Comment

I suppose a cooler of some description on the gearbox oil might help... but again that might be too expensive. I heard somewhere that the auto box was the same as the one on a volvo and a jeep (apparently)... so some parts might be interchangeable... I am thinking of a finned oil pan, or something along those lines... but of course for a manual...

Comment

Working...
                      X