Hair Trigger Heater??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair Trigger Heater??

My 3rd gens heater is playing up a bit, its either red hot or stone cold, just a knats knacker of a movement of the temperature setting lever meaning the difference between the two extremes, any ideas??

It makes no difference what position the fan lever is in either, just alot more cold or hot air.

I've a got a road trip planned at the end of next week covering 6000mls so it would handy to be able to fix it.

Paul

The temperature control is a cable connected to a valve on the bulkhead in the engine bay, it will have a hose on either side of it, check that it's secure and the valve lever moves freely.

Comment

Youve got the DIFFUSEFR full of hair! Usual cause is blow drying an AFRO
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        The temperature control is a cable connected to a valve on the bulkhead in the engine bay, it will have a hose on either side of it, check that it's secure and the valve lever moves freely.

If its the "thingy" with the crude grill on top and a cable operating it from the bulkhead at an angle. It dosn't move at the moment and it's not free to move either, but i hav'nt tried to force it??

Is it connected to the lever directly by cable or via a solenoid, if by solenoid perhaps the ign needs to be on before it will move. if its direct i can't understand how the lever can select hot or cold but not degrees of hot or cold?? (unless there is a switch as well i suppose)

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by DitchCrawler
          If its the "thingy" with the crude grill on top and a cable operating it from the bulkhead at an angle. It dosn't move at the moment and it's not free to move either, but i hav'nt tried to force it??

Is it connected to the lever directly by cable or via a solenoid, if by solenoid perhaps the ign needs to be on before it will move. if its direct i can't understand how the lever can select hot or cold but not degrees of hot or cold?? (unless there is a switch as well i suppose)

Paul

It's a flap inside the valve that the cable moves to block off the flow of coolant (cold air from heater vents.)
          Or opens the valve to allow the coolant to flow through the heater matrix (hot air from heater vents.)

If the flap is in the halfway position, then the vents will blow warn air.

The cable maybe kinked or the valve sticking.

p.s. this is assuming that your heater control in the dash is the sliding type.

Comment

Its definately a slider type, and does not seem connected to the valve you've indicated, yet still manages to give me either hor or cold air but nothing in between

Paul

Comment

First a question. Does yours have the same setup as the earlier models? If it does then maybe the cable for the main vent is disconnected and it is diverting all air through the heater matrix. There are two cables connected to the slider. One to valve under bonnet and one to vent. If the slider is on half way point the vent will be in a position to divert air both through the heater and around the rear section mixing cold and hot. In the hot position all air passes through the heater and on cold all air passes through the rear section. Look under the housing on passenger side footwell for a rod that sticks out the bottom. This is where the cable connects

Nev

Comment

my 3rd gen is electric try cleaning the contacts on the back of the slider mine went the same and it turned out to be dirt
                I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Working...
                X