Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What these Japanese mods mean?

Hi
    Im Faisal and im new to this forum and off roading as well.
    Im interested in buying a Toyota Surf 1997 freshly imported from Japan. It has a Zeal PRO-STAFF sticker and moded.

In rear suspension, along the axle, it has a diagonal rod (green color) with an adjuster may be to increase or decrease its length.
    It has two brackets welded at the bottom of the cabin with a rod bolted in each. The other end of these rods is bolted to the side member of the chassis.

It also has a vaccum boost guage and a BCC fitted in the dash. A free wheeling hub, recaro leather seats, 17" wheels with Dunlop AT-80 265/65-17 tyre. 1KZ-TE 3.0 D engine.

My questions may be v basic for u all pros but please help:
    a. What is this diagonal rod and why it has an adjuster.
    b. What are these short rods doing.
    c. Is the quality of welding OK. The finish is not clean, Japaneses mod may be such
    d. Should i choose a truck with free wheeling hub? Heard it has its own problems
    e. What this device with few buttons and BCC written does.

Thanks all
    regards
    Faisal
    Truckin' Time

The rod with the adjuster is the Panhard rod, these are not normally adjustable. When raising the suspension the rear axle will be moved out of alignment unless the panhard rod mounting is altered or a longer rod is fitted, in this case they have fitted an adjustable one to compensate for the lift.
    The upper rods welded in are probably associated with the lift also, but some more photos would help in determining exactly what it is.
    Its hard to judge the welding without better pictures, it does not look very neat, but that does not neccessarily mean they will be weak.
    Free wheeling hubs are not standard on the surf, they can offer a slight improvement in economy and reduce strain on the CV joints, particularly when the suspension has been raised. They are not commonly found on Surfs.
    The device with BCC on it? Could be any of a number of items, again more/better pictures would help

Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks. understood...gr8... so my guess was rite and this is related to the lift.
      posting a hi res pic to show the weld. Hope it will help, Post some other views after another visit to the dealer. There might be other mods too i'll try to find like spacers etc.
      Truckin' Time

Comment

Those welds look yuk!

Can't think why you'd want to brace the body on the chassis, unless you want it to vibrate, the body is mounted on rubbers to the chassis.

The adjustable panhard rod is OK, as is the free wheeling hubs.

Can't make out the 3rd pic, but pic 4 make it look like a truck to avoid or buy cheap.

Hord to tell with limited info though.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

those welds look like my welding efforts so far.... bad!
          Landcruiser Colorado
          Sub. Forester

Comment

BCC may be a Boost Cut Controller. Turbo related, have a look at this ongoing thread......

Electronic Boost Control

Dave

(Do be aware though this aint my field of strength and its a speculative answer)
            Last edited by Ballibeg; 26 February 2007, 22:33.

Comment

Does installation of a Boost controller and lift kits mean that the truck has been rubbed in Japan?

@tonyN
              Ya body cant be braced with chassis that way.
              I'll try to post few more pics and under stand the suspension mods myself on my next visit to the dealer. Especially what is joining what.
              Truckin' Time

Comment

Originally posted by turbolover
                Does installation of a Boost controller and lift kits mean that the truck has been rubbed in Japan?

@tonyN
                Ya body cant be braced with chassis that way.
                I'll try to post few more pics and under stand the suspension mods myself on my next visit to the dealer. Especially what is joining what.
                Looks to me like trailing arm type arms attached to a plate welded to the rear floor over the exhaust. There's not a lot of point attaching the other end to the body too so I'd assume they're attached to the chassis.

Looks dodgy!
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Looks to me like trailing arm type arms attached to a plate welded to the rear floor over the exhaust. There's not a lot of point attaching the other end to the body too so I'd assume they're attached to the chassis.
                  So what is the function of these trailing arms. looks as if they are preventing roll. An Antiroll arrangement?
                  Truckin' Time

Comment

looks like the welding was done by a blind man with parkinsons...
                    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by turbolover
                      So what is the function of these trailing arms. looks as if they are preventing roll. An Antiroll arrangement?
                      I cant imagine why it's been done, but it seems a bit odd. A photo of where the other end of them is fitted would help.

The trailing arms are there to prevent longitudal movement of the axle in relation to the chassis, but they allow vertical movement so your suspension can move freely. The panhard rod stops latidudal movement of the suspension in relation to the chassis. If you lift the *suspension* by a significant amount, then the panhard rod needs to be lengthened or the chassis will end up misaligned to the rear axle - hence the adjuster on yours.

The body cant roll on the chassis as it's only insulated from the chassis by small rubber 'washer' type arrangement to damp out vibration. Therefore there's no need for various arms and devices from body to chassis.

If there's more Surfs available where you are, I might think about walking away from this one to be honest, and buying a tidier one which is either standard, or has mods we can understand. .
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

there is a technical name for that type of welding. its called pidgeon poop

i used to weld like that when i first started! i wasnt allowed to work on cars at that point.
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Free Wheeling Hubs are very rare on a 3rd gen Surf, it can be done but is a lot harder to do, so if the same guy who did the welding did the hubs I would walk away.

Comment

If there's more Surfs available where you are, I might think about walking away from this one to be honest, and buying a tidier one which is either standard, or has mods we can understand. .
                            Ya there are many surfs most of them stock SSR-X and Gs. This one has a few attractions as 17'' wheels, Recaro with leather, free wh hubs and Boost control arrangments. What bothered me was the way suspension was modified.

Free Wheeling Hubs are very rare on a 3rd gen Surf, it can be done but is a lot harder to do, so if the same guy who did the welding did the hubs I would walk away.
                            I think thats the rite assessment. may be same goes for mods with the turbo.

Thank you all
                            Truckin' Time

Comment

Working...
                            X