Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear diff oil drain and refill Step by Step

Well here goes,

Ideally this should be done after a short run so as the oil is warm so less viscous and drains quicker.

Firstly, if you think you may have a blocked breather, it may be wise to remove the breather first, purely to vent any pressure in the diff that may have built up. Replace it straight away so as not to forget.

Then...

You will need:
    1 x 24mm socket with appropriate handle
    1 x Oil catch can (or tray or bucket)
    2.2 Litres approx of apropriate differential oil (LSD for LSD diffs, GL5 SAE ? for non-LSD diffs)

Remove 24mm inspection bolt on rear of diff. Mine was very stiff and i ended up with a jack under the ratchet handle to get it started.

Place drain pan under drain plug on bottom of diff, Loosen the drain plug (also 24mm), I started it off with the ratchet then did the rest by hand.

Remove drain plug and drain oil into appropriate container.

It takes a while for it to drain completely, but once most was out i carried on.

Replace drain plug. Refill diff with appropriate type and amount of oil, the full level should be not more than 5mm below the bottom of the inspection plug.

Diff oil is viscous and takes ages to pour from the bottle. At this point i jacked up the rear of the car and wedged the bottle between the panhard rod and something else then made a small hole in the bottom of the bottle, and left it to drain into the diff. Made easier by having three 1 litre bottles rather than a big 5 litre one.

Once diff is filled to appropriate level, replace inspection plug, job done. Nice and easy.

If i've missed anything or anyone encounters anything i forgot to mention feel free to add.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Excellent write-up, should be made available as a maintenance file on the home page methinks!

Comment

diff filler bolt made of cheese - replacement needed.

why oh why? is the rear diff filler bolt made of cheese? I believe it is Emmental, by the way.

Both me and Pete (who has a hilux pickup) have the same problem. Trying to undo that pesky cheese bolt has just rounded it off nicely.

ho hum.

any of you breaker boys got a couple of rear diff filler bolts for sale please? once in our grubby hands, we can butcher the existing ones getting them out and replace with good ones.... preferebly cheddar or similar. Extra Mature, obviously.

thanks chaps.
      If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Working...
      X