Newbie needds basic advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needds basic advice

Hoping you can answer the following questions for me please. They're all basic so you experts should have no problem! They're all relevant to an auto 94 3.0TD, which I believe makes it a KZN130.

1. Manuals. Doing a search seems to bring up the lack of these. Anyone know of the next best thing? I'd like an owners one to keep in the car with all the basics of how things work, and a Haynes equivalent.

2. Servicing. I can see from the sticky post a way to do a couple of the jobs. Does anyone have the actual servicing schedule for these, ie what needs doing at what mileage? I've got mid 40's tho' miles.

3. Gears. Never had an auto or a 4x4. I'm driving in auto with D selected, as I don't see the point of L or 2 at the moment, with o/d on. What about the right hand 4x4 stick though. When do you use these and what are the different selections for?

Thanks in advance.
    Everything's easy, when you know how!

Originally posted by dforbe
    ......Gears. Never had an auto or a 4x4. I'm driving in auto with D selected, as I don't see the point of L or 2 at the moment, with o/d on. What about the right hand 4x4 stick though. When do you use these and what are the different selections for?......
    Just keep her in D for the majority of your road usage, this will allow the gearbox to choose the most appropriate gear itself up to and including top gear. 2 or L can be selected in situations where you need the vehicle to hold in a lower gear ie ascending a steep hill, towing, off-road use etc.

The right hand 4wd lever has a button enabling you to select 4wd on the move by depressing the button on the side. Moving the lever will engage low-ratio gears and select 4wd simultaneously.
    These settings are strictly reserved for slippery and/or off-road conditions. Use of 4wd whilst on tarmac etc, will most likely result in damage to the 4wd system, don't try it. Whilst the 4wd can be engaged on the move, the vehicle must be stopped before moving the lever to select low-ratio.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I have a service schedule but it's in Excel so it cannot be posted on here,and I dont know how to convert it.

I could E-mail to anybody who wants it.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
        I have a service schedule but it's in Excel so it cannot be posted on here,and I dont know how to convert it.

I could E-mail to anybody who wants it.
        Andy

Email it to me and I'll post it on the tech section. email is harveyaj11@hotmail.com

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by dforbe
          Hoping you can answer the following questions for me please. They're all basic so you experts should have no problem! They're all relevant to an auto 94 3.0TD, which I believe makes it a KZN130.

1. Manuals. Doing a search seems to bring up the lack of these. Anyone know of the next best thing? I'd like an owners one to keep in the car with all the basics of how things work, and a Haynes equivalent.

An engine manual is available online here
          http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/manuals/1KZ-TE/

2. Servicing. I can see from the sticky post a way to do a couple of the jobs. Does anyone have the actual servicing schedule for these, ie what needs doing at what mileage? I've got mid 40's tho' miles.

I'll put the excel file as a link in the tech section

3. Gears. Never had an auto or a 4x4. I'm driving in auto with D selected, as I don't see the point of L or 2 at the moment, with o/d on. What about the right hand 4x4 stick though. When do you use these and what are the different selections for?

L or 2 are usefull when offroading or when you need to control the speed coming down a hill. Stops the box going into too high a gear. On my Auto when running off road I put it in 2 and use low ratio.
          The right hand stick is for selecting 4wd (the button on the side) and for low ration (for off road) by moving the stick fully forward (you need to be stationary). You should only use 4wd when you are on slippery stuff i.e. off road in mud or driving on snow / ice. If you use 4wd on road you can damage the running gear due to axle wind up. This is because there is no central diff which would allow the front and rear wheels to travel at different speeds when going round corners. Full time 4wd systems have a central diff that allows this. On the Surf, the 4wd system is a part time system. When in 4wd the front/rear wheels travel at the same rate.
          Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
            Andy

Email it to me and I'll post it on the tech section. email is harveyaj11@hotmail.com

Cheers
            Andy

I did send it to Tony but he must be too busy with his new love(Surf),also did you know that when someone puts email like you did that it doesn't work,you have to go into quote to get the details.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
              Andy

I did send it to Tony but he must be too busy with his new love(Surf),also did you know that when someone puts email like you did that it doesn't work,you have to go into quote to get the details.
              No I didn't know that about the email thing - still learning.

I've posted it in the technical articles section as a link and stored it on my webspace.

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X