94 4-Runner SAS buildup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 4-Runner SAS buildup!

Since I know you guys don't get to see alot of hardcore rockcrawlers over there I thought I'd give you some eye candy and show you my latest project. I used to post here way back when I was living at the Airbase in Suffolk. I've sinced came back to the states I'm currently living in Northern California not far from the famous Rubicon Trail. Somehwhere on here are some pics of TonyN pulling me out of muck hole during one of our fun days. Anyways onto the specs of my build.

I bought this rig bone stock back in 2000 in England while I was stationed there. I immediately started modding it and was able to wheel it in England, Ireland, Wales, and Scotland while I was over there. It came over on a boat in Sept of 03 and I picked it up in Tacoma, WA and continued doing stuff to it. In Sept of this year I picked up a new Tacoma so the Runner is no longer my DD. After looking at it sitting in the driveway for a couple months I decided it was time to start cutting it up and making a wheeler out of it. I found a guy that had a couple of good already built axles that were almost new who had decided to go Dana's so I snatched up his axles and got started. The guy I bought the axles from is actually doing the Fab work but I will be doing everything else. On to the pics....

Front Axle:
    -Housing trussed, plated steering stops, shaved drain plug, diff armor
    -30-Spline Liongfield Chromo Axles
    -Chromo Hub gears
    -Fresh Rebuild
    -FJ Rotors and ifs brakes
    -Marlin Crawler High Steer Kit
    -Backing plate eliminators
    -Rock Ring Felt protectors
    -Marlin Crawler 4cyl Diff w/ Yukon 5.29's and a Detroit Locker
    -Triple Drilled Flange
    -Solid Pinion Spacer
    -Upgraded Steering Studs-Fully Rebuilt w/ new bearings throughout
    -14" Bilstein 5150 shocks
    -Trail Gear 4" springs and Swap parts

Rear Axle:
    Diff Armor
    Shaved Drain Plug
    Yukon 5.29's
    Detroit
    Trail Gear 5" springs
    12" Bilstein 5150's

Armor
    Stubbs Welding Sliders
    Marlin rear tube bumper
    Davez offroad front tube bumper
    Dual Case Crossmember guard

Marlin Ultimate Crawler w/ 4.70's and 2.28 gears

37X12.5X15 Goodyear MTR's

Warn XD9000i

Here's a shot if her right after I got it back in 2000.

And here's a shot when it was still my DD before the cutting began. It had a 2" BL and 33's with 4.88's and open diffs.

Now let the real modding begin. First task was to ditch those chrome bumpers

Heres a shot of the Marlin rear bumper

Davez Offroad Performance front bumper

37X12.5X15 MT/Rs

Marlin Ultimate Crawler.. final drive of 223.1!!

Loaded up and headed for the shop

And so it starts... no going back now!!

SO LONG IFS!!!!

Frame prepped

Spring hanger welded on

Sitting on it's own weight for the first time

Couldn't resist any longer... we threw a tire on it real quick for a couple poser shots. This is a 37.. I dont think clearance is going to be an issue....

The front is now done and the rear is getting pretty close These are my old 33's on there for a quick height comparison. This pic was shot while it was out of the garage to turn it around and start on the rear.

Back in the garage to hack the coil $$$$ out from underneath it.

Rear spring hanger

Still have to get my rear third set up this week, the drivelines made, and my the linkages to the crawl box and then it'll just be finish work after that.

Here are a few shots of my new go fast baby that replaced my 4-Runner

It's an 06 Tacoma Access Cab 4.0L petrol 6 speed manual. So far I've added a 3" lift, 285 BFG A/Ts, Panther 16" Wheels, Limo Tint, Volant Intake, Borla Catback, URD short shifter, URD PSC1-001 MAF Calibrator professionally dyno tuned. I put down 226 RWHP during my dyno session. It is a lot of to drive especially compared to the old 3.0 petrol in my 4-Runner. Let me know if you have any questions on my stuff. I'll try to pop back in from time to time with updates.
    Joey

Hi mate, long time no see. Looking good.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Shame about LIONS BACK mate. KEEP ON TRUCKING

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=555559
      Last edited by marky; 21 February 2007, 22:42.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Good to here from again m8.nice job your doing there keep it up.
        If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Hello!!!! Nice to see you around again - boy I'm jealous of that truck... you just cannot get the bits cheaply enough here.... though we try.
          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Thanks everyone. Linda yes I remember I had a bunch of things I had to wait until I got my Runner back to the states to do. It's still not cheap to build a crawler though. I will have about $8000 USD into this part of the build...yikes it'll be an awesome Toy though and I'll be able to use it frequently around here.

Comment

Joey - that is some build up - update when the shop have finished it.

Have you posted this on Yotatech? Been following some of the build ups on there.

That is some serious reduction you're getting out of that crawler!

I've taken the easy way out and just bought a 1st Gen with solid axles and leafs front and rear LOL
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Hey Joey,

Just found your build up on Yotatech

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=104000

Quite good, actually!
                Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

wow,what an awsome build,nice work,cant wait to see the completed pics.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

Thanks for the compliments! I will keep updating this thread when I get more pictures as we progress in the build. I'm hoping to have it back on the road by the end of the week.

Comment

Well we ran into a bit of a snag with the dual transfer case set up and had to order a part but it came in yesterday so we should be able to continue now. I got my Warn XD9000i mounted up yesterday. Hopefully I'll have some pics of it on the 37's real soon.

Comment

Remember this pic from a few years ago Joey?

Last edited by Cmar; 2 March 2007, 01:10.

Comment

CMAR good to hear from you. I talk about that trip to Ireland all the time.. it was the trip of a lifetime. I'm the only bloke in California that can say I've have my truck stuck in England, Ireland, and Wales..haha. My Runner has came a long ways since that picture was taken.

Comment

Got the rear shock hoop and shocks mounted yesterday. Those are Bilstein 5150's with 14" of travel!

The pipe will have a piece welded onto it later on. Thats not where the exhaust is going to exit.

Comment

Here are some updated pics.. the rig is nearing completion. It's sitting on 37's now and bumpers are on. Now it's just a matter of some piddly stuff before it's ready to rock.

Shock Hoop and Bilstein 5150s.

Where the magic happens. I still have to do some modding of the boots and stuff to get it all working right and cleaned up. We had to weld in some bends to get the shifters to come out right. The rear shifter comes up where the change holder is on a 2nd Gen.

Still lots of little things to do but it's coming along nicely. Here is a video of what 223.1 looks like. No there is nobody driving the truck. It almost stops going up the curb... I am sooo impressed with the dual case. I can't wait to try it out on the trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJMGV0FId7c

Last edited by UKMyers; 1 April 2007, 20:05.

Comment

Working...
                              X