Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice in layman's terms needed....!

Hi folks.

I am about to buy a 1996 3.0 TD KZN Surf at 78,000 miles from the ol' man and have figured I need to:

a) change the timing belt and tensioners
    b) have it serviced

Is there anything else? I am keen to go to Toyota to get this done. Is this an okay idea? I know it will probably cost a bit more but feel I'd get it all done properly.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers.

G

Originally posted by Ironride
    Hi folks.

I am about to buy a 1996 3.0 TD KZN Surf at 78,000 miles from the ol' man and have figured I need to:

a) change the timing belt and tensioners
    b) have it serviced

Is there anything else? I am keen to go to Toyota to get this done. Is this an okay idea? I know it will probably cost a bit more but feel I'd get it all done properly.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers.

G
    is it the kzn130 with drop down tailgate or kzn185 with lift up tailgate
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hi. It's a KZN185. Not sure about the tail etc. as haven't got it yet and haven't seen it for a while as it lives in France at the mo' with the ol' man! All I know is it opens out.

Comment

ask on here for a decent garage in your area as alot of toyota garages don't like the imports and will charge the earth for doing the work.
        get any parts you need from www.toyotahilux.com (roughtrax) 0117 9869056

or www.milneroffroad.com 01629 734411 both of these places you get next day delivery
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Here's your list. (Remember, you did ask).

Rad cap
          Thermostat
          All the belts, including cam belt
          Coolant flush and refill with green antifreeze and deionised/distilled water
          ATF fluid replaced
          All diff oils replaced
          Rocker cover gasket checked
          Engine oil and all filters

Comment

Any good garages in or near Sheffield?

Thanks!

If anybody knows any good garages in or around Sheffield as per my previous post in this section...............i

Cheers.

G

Comment

Cheers, Matt. That's a lot....! I wonder how much that will cost.........

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                ask on here for a decent garage in your area as alot of toyota garages don't like the imports and will charge the earth for doing the work.
                get any parts you need from www.toyotahilux.com (roughtrax) 0117 9869056

or www.milneroffroad.com 01629 734411 both of these places you get next day delivery
                There's one of the Pentagons at Sheffield. If they're all like ours, he should be fairly safe with the dealer for at least parts. Our's are spot on spares wise. Never used them for work, other than the recall, but everything seemed tidily done on that.

Comment

Cheers, Matt. That's a lot....! I wonder how much that will cost.........
                  Make sure you're sitting down before you get the quote.

Comment

I'll add the smooth cam belt tensioner to that. The geared one, make sure they check it. The smooth one I would have changed as a matter of course, though.

Comment

Thanks for your time on this. Pentagon sounds good. My Bro took his van in there and all was sound. Will look into your list and get quotes.

Many thanks.

G

Comment

My local toyota dealership is happy to sell me any spares that will fit, but flatly refuse to work on it as its an import, they wouldn't even give me a ballpark figure on a head change, even though it can't be that different on UK/Import.
                        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Toyota dealer

Interesting. I mailed Toyota a few questions, mainly surrounding costs etc. and have not heard anything as yet. Will keep you posted. My Bro said he saw a Yorkshire Surf-specific garage advertised on the back of a Surf a while ago. Trying to track it down. If anybody has any ideas..........?

Comment

Interesting. I mailed Toyota a few questions, mainly surrounding costs etc. and have not heard anything as yet. Will keep you posted. My Bro said he saw a Yorkshire Surf-specific garage advertised on the back of a Surf a while ago. Trying to track it down. If anybody has any ideas..........?
                            If you are going to use Toyota, just go in and have a word with them directly. Their e-mail responsiveness is $hit.

Comment

Working...
                            X