Speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo

Just a quickie. My speedo (presumably like everyone elses) reads in MPH on the outer ring, but the odometer and trippo both read in kilometers. Being lazy and not wanting to do the math everytime I want to figure either how far Ive travelled or how the fuel economy is doing, is there any way of converting the whole thing to read in good old imperial miles? And if there is a conversion to fit which required the replacement of the exsiting speedo assembly, would it be legal or would i technically be 'clocking' the vehicle?
    My karma ran over my dogma ..
    Paul

Originally posted by Billy-No-Money
    Just a quickie. My speedo (presumably like everyone elses) reads in MPH on the outer ring, but the odometer and trippo both read in kilometers. Being lazy and not wanting to do the math everytime I want to figure either how far Ive travelled or how the fuel economy is doing, is there any way of converting the whole thing to read in good old imperial miles? And if there is a conversion to fit which required the replacement of the exsiting speedo assembly, would it be legal or would i technically be 'clocking' the vehicle?
    I think you can get a chip gizmo that does it not sure it will work on yours, or you could just divide by 1.61!!! or just do what i do and dont worry about it
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

It's not illegal to clock a vehicle, just to claim the mileage is genuine. If you record it all, take photo's etc. and pass the information on if you sell the truck you'll have no problems in that respect.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

thanx for that. If I find away to do it then Ill make some kind of acceptable record of milage at the time. Dont think chipping will work, as far as I know its a mechanical cable driven speedo tho I could be wrong.
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Billy-No-Money
          thanx for that. If I find away to do it then Ill make some kind of acceptable record of milage at the time. Dont think chipping will work, as far as I know its a mechanical cable driven speedo tho I could be wrong.

'92 on they're electronic speedos.

Comment

AFAIK some 2nd gens are electric and some are mechanical, don't know whether the difference was model based, or age based? Or how to tell which one you got.
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

Electronic ones have a pin for the needle to rest on, cable dont have a pin.

Comment

just checked and the needle is on a pin (isn't that a song....?) so i guess its electronic and chippable. Any one want to save me a web-trawl and point me in the right direction?
                Paul

Comment

http://www.importedvehicles.co.uk/ch...everything.htm

Comment

or try Http://www.eliteequipment.net

if your speedo face reads in miles (mph) already you will need a new (old km) face as they are different.

I did my 3.0lr when I got it easy enough to do, but mine has a tendency to whip round to 160 when the wipers work
                    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Working...
                    X