Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blimey I'm babbling today

Good luck with the project anyhow.

I'll try not to post any more in here but I'm sure someone will throw me a bone at some point.

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone
      Link to the mac challenge?

Its funny that you tell me no more arguments

Totally off topic now, but hey I didn't bring up the problems of esl's, you did.
      Me tell you no more arguments? I was asking why you were arguing with people who were basically agreeing with you! You STILL are!!!

Problems with ESLs? Didn't say you did bring them up did I? I was just pointing out their obvious failings, and there is no point in bringing up £15000 MLs because no ordinary mortal can afford them.

Also, crossover design can dictate whether a speaker 'unloads' as you put it, or not at a frequency that will cause a resonance.

I've done some of this stuff. I worked on a prototype active system for A&R back in the 80s so I know a little bit, not just the stuff I've read in mags / listened to dealers bullsh1t. (Not that I'm suggesting that is the limit of your knowledge by any means!)

Anyway - dig into your pockets matey! Even a fiver is welcome I'm sure. It's a very good cause. Go -on, you know you want to!!!!

OH, and sorry to hear about the head - good luck in getting it back on the road!
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Hi Apache, need a link to the mac challenge what page is it on?

I guess I just enjoy talking audio Sorry if I've upset anyone on this thread.

I don't read the hifi mags and definitely don't listen to dealers. My mate with the ML's also paid around £1200 for a pair of speaker cables. ouch.

Most of my 'knowledge' comes from building stuff and reading the proper books.

The 'master handbook of acoustics' by F Alton Everest is a great starting place.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Handb...e=UTF8&s=books

2 way bookshelves do not use a crossover below their tuning point btw(theres the bone:^) ). Feed them a decent bit of low bass and watch them flap around like a dying fish. I guess you'll remember cone flap from warped vinyl ? (Being an 80's hifi man.)

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache

Problems with ESLs? Didn't say you did bring them up did I? I was just pointing out their obvious failings, and there is no point in bringing up £15000 MLs because no ordinary mortal can afford them.
          Damn!

The avantgardes were about to be thrown into the mix aswell

Comment

^ not very christian like.

If it's the same guy who told him to use 2 x 10's with a 12" without any xo's then be very wary

Sorry, thats probably irrelevant

Rob.
            This will be my last post on this thread.

If it's not christian like to offer the original poster advice and professional help in a useful manner then what is?

As far as crossover's are concerned i was still trying to establish the impedance loading on the amp. The build is clearly on a budget and crossovers are going to be an unnecessary expense. What i was going to advise in the case of a tri-mode configuration was to use a treble blocker on the 12", and if necessary bass blockers on the 10's. Ok so the results wouldn't be great, but it'd be the best you could do, on a tight budget. If we are getting into the realms of crossover's and so on we may aswell say that the best bet would be to s$$$$ everything you got and spend another 700quid on a completely new set up. And unless i'm mistaken then please tell me where i advised anything other than that.

And yes it is irrelevant.
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

It's not very Christian like to give someone false information, then when corrected try to make out the bloke correcting you is dragging everyone into a 'quagmire of irrelevance' . Most of the arguement here seems to be you saying stuff about speakers thats not quite right,then me posting stuff to help you understand. After I posted examples of ohm's law at work, and 3 links from various sources backing up what I said you replied that you still didn't understand and then went on to post more dodgy advice! I then mentioned that some pa guys run speakers with amps double the power of the speakers ratings as a way of never clipping the amp into the speakers. This got turned round on me as 'Rob recommends running amps double the needed power'. Hence why I've ended up discussing ESl's etc wrt distortion. That all came from you saying you've heard plenty of distortion free set ups, and me saying you've never heard horns or esls. You also asked about home cinema levels, Which I answered. Then later on I got accused of bringing home cinema etc into the argument, and what I was talking about was irrelevant.

I got told I couldn't use horns or esl's as examples as they were not for use in cars. (Even though theres a few horn mid/tweeters available for car use - try USD for a start), after that I've just been answering Apache and MattF. (or hopping around like an epileptic if you will)

Dunno where you get £700 from ? He's got the HU and mains, and the amp. Just needs to trade in the 3 musical instrument speakers and get 1 good quality sub. Messing around with bass blockers / high passes would be futile without measuring equipment.

Also I doubt you'd find bass blockers etc that work in the subwoofer region (20Hz - 80Hz give or take - Some run up to 120Hz)

My advice is still the same. Don't bother with the 3 drivers, sell them on and buy a driver fit for the purpose. At the very least either use the pair of 10's or the single 12. Don't try and use them all. It will be a mess.

Sorry if I upset you Nero. It was a cheap shot. I guess I felt a bit grumpy at being accused of stuff when I was just trying to help the op out.

Rob.

Comment

Excellent primer on all things car audio.

http://www.bcae1.com/

Now thats got to be relevant.

Rob.

Comment

Hopefully the original poster hasn't lost interest... just to try and keep it on topic.

head unit now had pre-outs... great...

amp is fairly substantial for mortal wallets... great...

it can run in bridged mode... can't it? what load will it comfortably handle? 1ohm, 2ohm, 4 ohm... 8 ohm?

Do you want to run just the sub with the amp, or the sub and main speakers...?

subwoofer that you have already got... what are the thielle small parameters for it...? that will give an indication of what type of enclosure it was designed for.

as for filtering the data going to the speakers... simple 6db rolloff, 400mfd caps on the positive side of each main speaker... 6.6mh coil on the positive side of the sub... that should give you approx 100hz to 120hz crossover point... if those are 4" (100mm) front speakers they won't be able to go much lower... and it'll keep the sub happy. If you have an electronic crossover on the amp you can set that to low pass as well... if you want to get sexy... you may want to consider high passing the signal to the sub amp at 30hz... no point amplifying information you can't playback...

as for the distortion in the car audio environment... check out the media before anything else... everything in the chain from source to output will add distortion... but if you're starting with 10% on the media you are on a hiding to nothing...

As for car audio being all about the bass... as with our field (4x4) there is a lot of bad press out there... some car audio installs will give 'normal' home hifi a run for their money... But usually the install far outweighs the costs... transmission line front stages... aperiodic membraned subs... etc... done them all and give some audiophiles cause to question their judgement.

But hey, we can only comment from the benefit of our own experiences.

Comment

Hi Apache, need a link to the mac challenge what page is it on?
                    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27625
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Done.

Comment

What the phuq was all that about, and how did I miss it?

I'm happy with my single CD radio with the 20 quid 6"X9"s I got from Motor-world.

Sheesh!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                          What the phuq was all that about, and how did I miss it?

I'm happy with my single CD radio with the 20 quid 6"X9"s I got from Motor-world.

Sheesh!!
                          Wasn't that when you reached 10,000 posts Vince and went off in a huff for a couple of days.
                          Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
                            Wasn't that when you reached 10,000 posts Vince and went off in a huff for a couple of days.

Who sir? me sir? huff sir? no sir!

Comment

Working...
                            X