Building Myself a Speaker cabinet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Myself a Speaker cabinet.

Ok guys. Here is my latest thread regarding my speaker cabinet enquiry.

I have bought this cd player

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryrn_31445

and am getting it fitted tomorrow for £10 at Halfords (special offer). This is where the tricky bit begins (at least 'I' think it's tricky). I assume this stereo will power up the 4 existing in-car speakers right? Ok then, in addition to this I will have a speaker cabinet made incorporating some old guitar speakers (2 x 35 watt 10 inch speakers which came from the same Laney 2 x 10 cabinet - and 1 x 15 inch 200 watt bass speaker from a Trace Elliott bass amp).

I am getting a box made for these speakers by my Dad who is a bit of a DIY enthusiast and has all the gear to make a large wooden box for them to sit fluch in (I want this to be fixed permantently to the floor in the boot space), I am also getting a steel cage to fit over the speaker cabinet which again I want to be fixed to the floor of the boot space. This is to provide secirity and also so that I can still use the boot to store stuff without destroying the speakers by resting stuff directly on top.

Ok then, there are my requirements but I have a few questions.

1. How big do you think I will have to make the speaker cabinet? (the one I am getting my dad to make).
    2. How big will the steel cage have to be to slot over it?
    3. How can I fix it to the floor of the boot space?
    4. If I have to buy an amplifier to power these speakers, which one should I buy and what should I do with it?
    5. Will all this fit in the boot space anyway i.e. How big would the box be? What design should I make it? All three speakers in a line or make them into a triangle (one long speaker cab or a more square one?).

Your help would be appreciated.

J.
    www.myspace.com/conandoomconan

I wouldn't like to think I was letting Halfrauds rip my dash apart, did they know what vehicle it was when they quoted you?
    Make sure you check that everything is working before you drive it away.
    Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
      I wouldn't like to think I was letting Halfrauds rip my dash apart, did they know what vehicle it was when they quoted you?
      Make sure you check that everything is working before you drive it away.

Let them find your truck, don't show them. If they can't find/recognise a Surf, go somewhere else.

Comment

This is what I did with mine but you wouldn't get 10 & 15" speakers in it !!
        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...953#post173953
        Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

LOL yeah, the guy came out and looked at mine when I enquired.

By the way, I am just about to bid on an amp too on EBAY.

I have been advised that it is the right one :o). Bargain too.

Will a 75 watt output on the amp be ok if I am using a 35 watt speaker?

Comment

You will need to buy a loom to convert the jap wiring to the newer standard.

I got mine off ebay for about £6. If Halfords got them they charge about £13.

I fitted a Sony system a few months back. There is a button on the unit which turns the rear speakers on/off coz there is a separate amp in the panel in the boot. Halford knew nothing about it and thought the unit was duff.

They exchanged two before I worked out what was wrong. It only does it with CD's - radio worked fine - tres wierd.
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by Razorhoof
              1. How big do you think I will have to make the speaker cabinet? (the one I am getting my dad to make).
              2. How big will the steel cage have to be to slot over it?
              3. How can I fix it to the floor of the boot space?
              4. If I have to buy an amplifier to power these speakers, which one should I buy and what should I do with it?
              5. Will all this fit in the boot space anyway i.e. How big would the box be? What design should I make it? All three speakers in a line or make them into a triangle (one long speaker cab or a more square one?).

Your help would be appreciated.

J.
              No expert on these things, but:

1. Big enough to put the drivers in, depth approximately the same as the width of the drivers.
              2. Slightly bigger than the cabinet
              3. There are tie down points in the boot space. If you cant fix to them, you can probably just use some self-tapping screws but be careful where you put them.
              4. Buy a power amp that's matched to the power and impedance of the speakers.
              5. It should fit no problem. Put them all in a line or you'll get soundwaves arriving at different times and it will sound sh1t.

I am rubbish at cars and worse at car electrics, but I am not convinced this will be worth your while. Speakers from guitar amps are not the same as bass bin speakers, even though they are big, round and made of paper. They are very much set for one tone and are a lot tougher to drive than most hifi speakers, so I would expect that little head unit to struggle a bit. If you just want bass, I imagine they'll do the job (with a little bit of help from a power amp) but it's not going to be concert quality....

Make sure the cabinet is extremely rigid, or it will fart, and stick a load of sound deadening in it (if you can't be arsed buying proper stuff, stick the foam out of some old pillows or a duvet in there). Also, why bother with a cage when you could just fit grilles over the front of the drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                It only does it with CD's - radio worked fine - tres wierd.
                Isn't it something to do with the signal that sends the aerial up also turning the rear amps on?

Comment

Here's that link again!

http://installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf

Don't forget to link H and I together so that the aerial comes up when the stereo is switched on.
                  You can buy ISO adapters from the forum shop.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/php_lib/shop.php

Comment

Hi guys.

Well, I won this amp here....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...B:EOIBSA:UK:31

Will I be able to use this to drive the three speakers as discussed or should I use two of the outputs from my car stereo (which has 4 x 45 watt outputs) to drive the two 35 watt speakers? and then use this amp to run the 200 watt speaker on its own?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comment

the 15" bass speaker will kill that amp, because of the 8ohm impedance of the speaker and the amp only able to handle 2ohms bridged or 4ohms unbridged. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

My advice would be a kicker comp c12 on that amp, low power draw and big sound. http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/5396.html bridged across both channels.

The guitar amp speakers again are likely to have 8 ohms impedance, but due to having a pair you could wire the pair in parralel and only put a 4ohm load on the amp. They may run at 4ohms due to being from a twin speaker cab, but you either need to test the resistance across them, or check how they were wired originally in the amp. However these speakers as someone has already said will be tuned very much towards mid-high range frequencies. And will not handle bass, as anyone whose played bass through a guitar amp will tell you. If they run at 4 ohms each you could run these direct from the head unit, one on each rear speaker out. If not your best bet is a 2nd amp, a cheap and cheerful one will do but make sure it's got a High pass filter as they will need to be run as mid range drivers rather than subs, so you want to kill any low range frequencies before they get to the speaker.

Also, each speaker should be installed in it's own enclosure, so the box you are building wants to be divided into sections, one for each speaker. How are they installed in the amp cabinets at the moment? If the casbinet backs are open they will want a fairly large box. If they are sealed they will want smallish boxes.
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

Hi mate.

The two 10 inch speakers were ran in parallel in the speaker cabinet.

If I ran that Kicker speaker and ran it across both the channels from the amp would I be able to use the two 10 inch speakers and run them from the 2 spare 45 outputs on my stero, would that be ok?

Comment

Are there any on this page that you would recommend? I am going to Halfords tomorrow u c.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...category_31371

Comment

Has the head unit even got a pre-out to allow it to connect to the power amp?

Comment

i would think twice about letting the neds at halford near your truck the hi fis in the surf has to be the most awkward thing in the world most of the dash panels and trim have to come off as the hifi is bolted in at the sides halfords dont like anything that dosent fit in a single din cage its the only thing the neds who work there know how to steal so they will prob break all your clips and not put back all the bolts and use sticky tape to hold it all in place

Comment

Working...
                              X