yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rattle/buzz through 4wd selector - fixed !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattle/buzz through 4wd selector - fixed !

For the past few weeks my wife has complained of a buzz/rattle from the transmission tunnel, which goes away if you drive with your hand on the 4wd selector. Finally got around to having a look today, took the gaiters etc off and think I have found the cause - I just don't know what it is !

To the left of the selector rod, just under the edge of the hole in the tunnel, is a small round "top hat" type of thing, about the size of the tip of my little finger. It was loose - spins freely (and rattles !). Won't unscrew/screw up, or pull off. I "isolated" it with some rubber tube, and the rattle is gone - but what is it ? Should it be loose like that ? How do you tighten it ?

Its the breather for the gearbox/transfer case, if you've blocked you may find you'll get oil leaks from the pinion seals, of the gaskets between the gearbox cases.

They have a small spring and a rubber washer under the cap, the spring holds the rubber bit over a hole in the fitting, to stop water getting in, but if pressure builds up in the box it can push up on the spring and vent.

Under the loose bit is a nut for unscrewing it from the gearbox, you probably need to take it off and soaking it in WD40 to free the spring off so it dosn't rattle.

Originally posted by Shiny_Kit
    For the past few weeks my wife has complained of a buzz/rattle from the transmission tunnel, which goes away if you drive with your hand on the 4wd selector. Finally got around to having a look today, took the gaiters etc off and think I have found the cause - I just don't know what it is !

To the left of the selector rod, just under the edge of the hole in the tunnel, is a small round "top hat" type of thing, about the size of the tip of my little finger. It was loose - spins freely (and rattles !). Won't unscrew/screw up, or pull off. I "isolated" it with some rubber tube, and the rattle is gone - but what is it ? Should it be loose like that ? How do you tighten it ?
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
    X