Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard ride

Hi All

i dont know whether this is posted in the right area im sure admin will help on that score i have an l reg surf ssrx the problem is it does not like speed bumps at all this may sound stupid but this is the first 4x4 i have had and so far love it

however when i go over speed bumps really slow i may add it lands hard at the back end do they all do this or is it a sign of suspension problems as i would have thought the suspension should be softer looking at what you lot do with yours

also have a problem with the heated rear window any ideas pics of where the connections to be tested are would be great

i also need to indentify the EGR valve is as i beleive a ball bearing in the right place will resolve black smoke any advise and pics would be excellent

thanks in advance

If its hitting the bumps stops without being loaded up (assuming you're not going stupid fast) the rear springs and shocks are probably shot. How does the truck the look parked on level ground, the side steps should be parallel to the ground

The rear window heater wire normally breaks inside the insulation about 6" up the cable from where it plugs into the rear window if the connectors look OK.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

blatant plug

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cure-Black-Smo...QQcmdZViewItem

go on its for charity
      TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

If i am looking at replacing all round is it an expensive job, dont want anything special just a softer ride. Not sure if it has been slightly lowered.
        Cheers

Comment

wont be lowered mate, just knackered springs. try www.milneroffroad.com for replacements. not expensive.

do you have a 2.4 or a 3.0??
          TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Easiest route is a set of rear +2" coils, and a set of Procomp 9000 shocks.

there are other options, you can fine tune it to how you want with different shocks and size of springs, etc...

You'll get a million other opinions on here.

Give me a call (website link in sig...) on monday if you want to chat about it, I can supply and/or fit all the parts, or search for Roughtrax, Milners, Procomp, etc......

Comment

tonyn is the man, if you can get down to him, he comes very highly recommended.
              TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
                wont be lowered mate, just knackered springs. try www.milneroffroad.com for replacements. not expensive.

do you have a 2.4 or a 3.0??

hi mate
                Its a 2.4 td auto ssrx is there a point on the truck which i can measure from to see if it has been lowered obviously centre of wheel hub upwards as it has a full rear front and back bumper kit and skirt kit and is an import.
                cheers mate

Comment

measure from the top of the wheel rim to the the bottom of the wheel arch. think standard its 12.5 inches, but i might be wrong

it should be the same as the front
                  TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
                    measure from the top of the wheel rim to the the bottom of the wheel arch. think standard its 12.5 inches, but i might be wrong

it should be the same as the front
                    thanks mate i will take a look in the morning dont think its anywhere near that though it has 15" rims on it is that standard?

any ideas on the EGC valve as i dont know whether its the one nearest the front of the truck or nearest the back and i really want to get rid of the smoke in the morning i have already purchased the bearing with intsruction but the picture is not to good

where abouts are you tony and would you get a better idea if i posted a pic

cheers jon

Comment

whats your email address mate, ill send you the details.

15inch rims are standard, but definatly post some pics.
                      Last edited by andrewlee31; 3 February 2007, 22:09.
                      TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                        If its hitting the bumps stops without being loaded up (assuming you're not going stupid fast) the rear springs and shocks are probably shot. How does the truck the look parked on level ground, the side steps should be parallel to the ground

The rear window heater wire normally breaks inside the insulation about 6" up the cable from where it plugs into the rear window if the connectors look OK.

hi mate is there anyway to soften the ride without raising to much if so what would be involved and how much would i be looking at

cheers
                        jon

Comment

I don't softening is the answer, it shouldn't bang or land hard when going over speed bumps, any softer springs will only cause it to land on the rubber bump stops even harder.

Milner's uprated coils are heavier duty (stiffer) with no lift, most other aftermarket springs are +2" lift (or bigger with a few mods), which is no bad thing on Surfs, they suit a slightly high rear because of the height of the wheel arch openings front to back, and you can fill the rear with junk and it dosn't look overloaded, or empty stiffens it up nicely so its not sloppy going round corners.

Completely stock handling needs Genuine Toyota springs, which no one has ever asked for so I have no idea of the price.

Milners springs are roughly £115 pair, +2" lift coils are around £100.

Can't speak for others, but I charge £50 to fit rear coils, same for a set of shocks.

Personally I'd always go with the +2" ones, the truck looks and handles so much better, especially if you uprate the shocks as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                            I don't softening is the answer, it shouldn't bang or land hard when going over speed bumps, any softer springs will only cause it to land on the rubber bump stops even harder.

Milner's uprated coils are heavier duty (stiffer) with no lift, most other aftermarket springs are +2" lift (or bigger with a few mods), which is no bad thing on Surfs, they suit a slightly high rear because of the height of the wheel arch openings front to back, and you can fill the rear with junk and it dosn't look overloaded, or empty stiffens it up nicely so its not sloppy going round corners.

Completely stock handling needs Genuine Toyota springs, which no one has ever asked for so I have no idea of the price.

Milners springs are roughly £115 pair, +2" lift coils are around £100.

Can't speak for others, but I charge £50 to fit rear coils, same for a set of shocks.

Personally I'd always go with the +2" ones, the truck looks and handles so much better, especially if you uprate the shocks as well.
                            thanks for that just to clarify would i need to replace both springs and coils or would i get away with just either or i went out and had a look at the truck and it is sitting lower at the back i assume this confirms your suspicions that there fubarbed where are you based and if i did decide to get the work done how long are we looking not long i take going off your labour quote

any chance i could offsite some of this cost in return for web or pc work

worth a try

Comment

I assume you mean SHOCKS and coils...

If you do it yourself, do the springs (coils) first, then you'll have saved ££ if you like it better with just the springs, if it still needs shocks then you can do them later.

Most Surfs have adjustable shocks, if you find soft is to soft and have to drive around on hard all the time, even when empty in the back then they are usually worn out, the hard setting is for sportier handling, or heavy loads in the back.

I'm probably to far away from you to make it worth while down here in Hampshire!

Originally posted by BAV1
                              thanks for that just to clarify would i need to replace both springs and coils or would i get away with just either or i went out and had a look at the truck and it is sitting lower at the back i assume this confirms your suspicions that there fubarbed where are you based and if i did decide to get the work done how long are we looking not long i take going off your labour quote

any chance i could offsite some of this cost in return for web or pc work

worth a try

Comment

Working...
                              X