Viscous Clutch In And Out Of Lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viscous Clutch In And Out Of Lock?

I noticed the other day that at approx 42MPH the viscous clutch appeared to be locking and unlocking, but as I was on a road with a 60MPH speed limit I thought it was a one-off.
    Coming up the M1 on Sunday, through the 40MPH roadworks, it was a real PITA. I either had to keep to a speedo reading of 39MPH or 45MPH. At almost spot on 42MPH it feels like either the O/D or the viscous clutch is switching on and off about every 0.5 of a second. Taking the O/D off seems to stop it happening, so it is not entirely speed related, but driving at the same revs with the O/D off doesn't cause the same symptoms.

I have checked the ATX oil and it seems to be a reasonable red-ish colour.

Any ideas please. It is doing my head in.
    It's only a hobby!

Sounds like the overdrive, not the torque convertor locking up..
    It just does, OK?

Comment

Phil, if you're gonna be driving at 45mph or below for a long time, press the ETC button in, then the transmission will stop 'hunting' up and down the gears.
      Once you're able to reach a sustained 50mph and above , switch the ETC off and the transmission will settle into overdrive.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        Phil, if you're gonna be driving at 45mph or below for a long time, press the ETC button in, then the transmission will stop 'hunting' up and down the gears.
        Once you're able to reach a sustained 50mph and above , switch the ETC off and the transmission will settle into overdrive.
        Cheers Vince. The strange thing is that it has only just started to do it. As long as I was below 50 or over 55 it used to be as good as gold. What it was doing on Sunday was oscillating, for want of a better word. It was almost a judder. I was more worried by the fact that it seems to be doing it almost 10MPH too early.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
          Cheers Vince. The strange thing is that it has only just started to do it. As long as I was below 50 or over 55 it used to be as good as gold. What it was doing on Sunday was oscillating, for want of a better word. It was almost a judder. I was more worried by the fact that it seems to be doing it almost 10MPH too early.

Maybe the fluid was getting too warm?

Comment

Working...
          X