Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That top hose you know.

Good afternoon Surf enthusiasts.

To cut a long story short. after running the surf down the motorway and on returning i found that the expansion bottle was quite full so i replaced the rad cap the next day, now the top hose is quite hard to push in when the engine is running is this normal i think it is beacause water boils at a higher temp under pressure and now the expansion tank only fills a little bit now. under inspection of the old rad cap the spring felt a lot weaker than the new one even though they were the same rated pressure. is it now a bit of time for peace of mind.

chris.

Originally posted by christopoher murphy
    Good afternoon Surf enthusiasts.

To cut a long story short. after running the surf down the motorway and on returning i found that the expansion bottle was quite full so i replaced the rad cap the next day, now the top hose is quite hard to push in when the engine is running is this normal i think it is beacause water boils at a higher temp under pressure and now the expansion tank only fills a little bit now. under inspection of the old rad cap the spring felt a lot weaker than the new one even though they were the same rated pressure. is it now a bit of time for peace of mind.

chris.
    have you changed the thermostat aswell.
    p.s what surf have you got chris 2.4 or 3l
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

no not yet was after an earlier opening one after fitting the rad cap i went down the motorway driving the surf to the red line in every gear off the clock in 5th and she seemed to run cooler too even comming back with air con on dont normally drive the surf like this but just wanted to test.

chris.

Comment

Sorry i have a 2.4 manual

Comment

i would change the thermostat and see how it is then

Comment

Thanks stormforce for the quick reply can you get earlier opening or should i say cooler opening thermostat so the engine has even more time to cool i have seen some pictures from afganistan from my mate whos out there and they all run around in toyota pick ups and surf and four runners and dont seem to ever have a problem overheating is it just our temperate climate or something.

chris.

Comment

Thanks stormforce for the quick reply can you get earlier opening or should i say cooler opening thermostat so the engine has even more time to cool i have seen some pictures from afganistan from my mate whos out there and they all run around in toyota pick ups and surf and four runners and dont seem to ever have a problem overheating is it just our temperate climate or something.

chris.
              i think you will be better with the standard thermostat,i'm sure vince will be along soon to give more advice on it but i'm sure someone asked the same thing within the past couple of weeks and the answer was the same

Comment

That probably was me asking about the thermostat.

Comment

That probably was me asking about the thermostat.
                  i think its all to do with the running efficiency of the engine by having the correct thermostat in.

Hey now that sounds rather technical don't you think.I know i shocked myself when i re-read it.It's probably a load of bull sh1te what i said but i think it sounds good, especially for me anyway

Comment

Top hose should be rock hard when system is working properly , hence the pressure cap . When the cap fails like yours had then thats when the coolant flows past the seal and overflows the expansion tank .
                    No harm in changing thermostat , just make sure you give the cooling system a good burping .
                    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

chris.
                      Stat options
                      from main stealers
                      71 degree part no 9091603121
                      76 9091603119 believe this is standard - could be wrong!
                      82 9091603118

and in case anyone wants it ...fan silicone 0881610001 or 0881603001
                      stealers can probably tell you the difference - I know one was cheaper than t'other
                      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                      Tony

Comment

For the 2.4, he has a total choice of one, the standard 88 degree. It's only the 3.0 which has multiple temps available.

With regards to the 'stat, trying to get hold of a lower rated one would most likely be detrimental. We don't have the inherent temps here to warrant derating the 'stat, and unless you're engine reaches it's nominal operating temp, it'll will cause rather than cure problems.

You were correct, Richard.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys have been running about all day in the surf and no problems the expansion bottle has only pushed out about a cup full of water and when i checked it when she had cooled down it had returned to the level i left it at so problem all sorted ...........touch wood.

Many thanks

Chris.

Comment

Working...
                          X