Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.A.O. Tony N.((((HELP))))

Hi Tony,
    I am in (rip out hair mode) After spending the best part of a grand having my gearbox re-conned, changing various sensors and solenoids my 3.0 TD still has no 4th gear/overdrive and the fuel consumption has hit an all time high.
    After reading lots of posts on here and speaking to Kitesurf Phil, I believe you're the guy who can sort me out.

I can be contacted on 01438 226177 or 07930379698 (24/7)

Many thanx
    Paul

Originally posted by Artful_dodger
    Hi Tony,
    I am in (rip out hair mode) After spending the best part of a grand having my gearbox re-conned, changing various sensors and solenoids my 3.0 TD still has no 4th gear/overdrive and the fuel consumption has hit an all time high.
    After reading lots of posts on here and speaking to Kitesurf Phil, I believe you're the guy who can sort me out.

I can be contacted on 01438 226177 or 07930379698 (24/7)

Many thanx
    Paul

Is the O/D off light illuminated on the dash constantly?
    Prise the O/D switch out from the side of the gear lever, and join the two wires together to see if this activates the overdrive.
    Remove the gear lever surround to see if the O/D switch is plugged in.

Comment

A strange suggestion, but is your engine warm enough (i.e. in the middle of the temperature gauge)? It won't go into overdrive until it warms up a bit (mine doesn't until I thrash it to get it hot- I think my thermostat's buggered). Even if it is warm, a knackered temperature sender could, I think, fool the gearbox into thinking it wasn't warm enough so preventing overdrive from engaging.

Anyway, the quick way to get hold of Tony is to give him a ring: http://www.4x4toys.co.uk/feedback.html

Comment

sounds like the throtle postion sensor is either faulty or not set right mate
        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
          sounds like the throtle postion sensor is either faulty or not set right mate
          Have had the throttle position sensor replaced, gearbox has been completely stripped and re-conditioned, Gearbox cost me £700 and the TPS was £200 including fitting. the o/d switch seems to be working,i.e. push it in and it lights up on dash, push it again the light goes out. Have had center console apart and all is connected. Somebody said that there was a seperate ECU for the gearbox but according to toyota it's all done thru the one ECU in the passenger footwell.

I'm starting to search for the sledgehammer

Comment

Originally posted by Artful_dodger
            Have had the throttle position sensor replaced, gearbox has been completely stripped and re-conditioned, Gearbox cost me £700 and the TPS was £200 including fitting. the o/d switch seems to be working,i.e. push it in and it lights up on dash, push it again the light goes out. Have had center console apart and all is connected. Somebody said that there was a seperate ECU for the gearbox but according to toyota it's all done thru the one ECU in the passenger footwell.

I'm starting to search for the sledgehammer
            The ECU's different if you have a manual or auto truck, so guess there is not seperate ECU for the box'

I tried to call earlier, but got no answer, then had to go out. Call me in the morning.

If the light is working, them the gearbox knows what you're doing, if O/D dosn't turn up with the buttonb pressed it normally flashes the O/D light at you.

Don't taker this as think you don't know what you're doing, but are you 100% sure its not working, ie counting the gearchanges, some of the 2.4's are very low geared, ie 3,750rpm at 70mph. I assume you turn the O/D off at speed and its not changing down one?
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Read through this document

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h16.pdf

it has a lots to say about the workings of toyota trannies, I found it very helpful.

the A340H had the transfer case built into the tranny. I think yours will be the A34OF ?!?!?

Check the aussie site - I read on there that there are two ECU's, one for the engine and one for the auto transmission.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...auto+ecu#88618 may help - half way down the page is a wiring diagram

regards
              Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 25 January 2007, 22:51.
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
              X