Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of Oil Filter

Hi

This could be another question from the ministry of daftness, but.....

After draining the oil from my 3.0 td Surf 1993, I cant for the life of me remove the oil filter, I have a rubber band extractor that I have just snapped and I have tried hammering a couple of screwdrivers into the top of the filter to try and get leverage but still no luck......

Anyone else had the same prob? I will be out tomorrow and getting a chain extractor tool for it, but just to make sure, ,,,,,

is the oil filter held in by anything?????? before I go and get heavy with it.

Cheers

It isn't held in by anything but the thread mate. If you've tried hammering something through for leverage I guess you're passed the point of no return already, so I reckon a chain will do it. Not the easiest access, but it should just twist off once you get it moving. It'll be easy once it unsticks mate.

Comment

Thanks, just wanted to check before I started.

Cheers

Comment

Just to be sure, if you are standing at the passenger side looking at the filter, you need to screw if off anticlockwise. It is difficult to get any leverage and could be someone has previously put it on too tight. Best of luck.
        Mike G

Comment

Quick update......

Tried everything I know to get this filter off!

It just does not want to budge, Im off out tomorrow to get a chain removal tool, if this does not work im going to be a bit stuck!

Anyone had anything like this before?? If so, what did you do??

If not, any ideas??!

Thanks for the replys so far.

Comment

i know just how you feel cause i was the same 2 weeks ago so i went out a bought one of the chain filter removal clamp thingys but i wish i had spent that extra bit more and bought the one that has the 3 legs which tighten onto the filter and then use a ratchet to undo it.I think this one was about £17 from halfords and the one i got was about £6 or £7
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
              i know just how you feel cause i was the same 2 weeks ago so i went out a bought one of the chain filter removal clamp thingys but i wish i had spent that extra bit more and bought the one that has the 3 legs which tighten onto the filter and then use a ratchet to undo it.I think this one was about £17 from halfords and the one i got was about £6 or £7
              you can get the filter removal tool that richard is talking about from machinemart
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                  you can get the filter removal tool that richard is talking about from machinemart
                  Or screwfix reduced to a tenner at the moment
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

Thanks everyone.

The old filter is off, and new one on along with new oil, I bought one of those three legged clamps. I can only recommend these to anyone who has a stubborn oil filter, it did the job and totally trashed the old filter, it took two full turns to undo the old one! Dont know who had done it or what they used to tighten the old filter but it worked.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X