Rear Window advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Window advice please

ok usual problem window only goes down about 2" and then sticks. I think on closer inspection the window runner (along the bottom of glass) has never had any lubrication and is rusty....very rusty!!! and the plastic rollers are jamming in it ...possibly flat spotted but not sure. My question is how do i remove the mechanism so i can gain access to runner etc without being able to lower window more than a couple of inches? Thanks in advance Fen

Remove the motor.

Comment

ok mate cheers will give it a go

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
        Remove the motor.

Stick something in the holes in the regulator spring to hold/lock it in place first though, as the glass will act like a guillotine once the motor is removed..

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Stick something in the holes in the regulator spring to hold/lock it in place first though, as the glass will act like a guillotine once the motor is removed..
          You just took all the fun out of it now, Vince.

Comment

well all dismantled all fingers present and correct....guillotine ... i wish!!! that baby wasnt going anywhere, the last time that saw any form of lubrication was at the toyota factory!! In the end i had to hold the glass with one hand and with the other force the plastic wheels off the ball ends on the actuator then after removing the actuator gently let the window slide down. Once the actuator was on the bench got everything moving freely, no missing or worn teeth (good) but after removing glass and trying to remove plastic wheels bottom window runner pitted (bad) I will see if i can get it cleaned up so fresh wheels move freely ( sourced from 93 celica mechanism) if not the celica mechanism runner is the same and i may try to cut and fit 2 sections of this to the surf runner after removing the old pitted section. God only knows how the previous owner managed without being able to get in the rear tailgate. Only problem now is getting the two runners off without breaking glass so i can weld the new sections on ..... oh well never thought it was going to be easy!!!!!

Comment

The runners on my rear window are rotten . One of them rotted off the window so I was left with the window dropping on one side . Sumo got me some new ones from Toyota which are modified so the water runs over the runner and stops the runner rotting . Managed to fit new runner with window and mech in place , but would be best done out of vehicle .Parts cost just under £50! Not a nice price , but the modded parts should stop a repeat of the runner rotting off . I only did the one that was rotten , but need to do the other one when I can leave the vehicle with no window in , which is not in this neighbourhood !
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Well i have got the runners off the glass ....... never sweated so much in my life ...thought any minute glass is going to shatter. So i will take to work tomorrow and tig the celica runner sections to them and hopefully this should sort it out ... and by the way the celica motor is identical to the surf rear window motor except the plug has got larger spade terminals

Comment

All back together and going up and down nice and smoothly.... worst part of the job... fitting the runners back on to the bottom of the glass nerve racking or what !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X