Help - I've been a silly boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - I've been a silly boy

I got to the service station today , drove upto a pump that said unleaded, drove past to the next one that had unleaded and diesel, got out and for the first time ever started putting unleaded into my 3.0TD . 14 litres of the stuff,the tank was nearly dry and so I topped it up to the brim with diesel. It's been running fine since, even did a 2hr stint off roading, what should I do next , run it all to empty and then top up with fresh diesel , or keep thinning the petrol mix out by topping up every 50 /60 miles with diesel, will it cause any long term damage , and is there anything further I should do / add to make it better
    Thanks in advance
    Former owner of 94 Surf SSR-X 3.0 TD

Originally posted by RobOnBlackbird
    , or keep thinning the petrol mix out by topping up every 50 /60 miles with diesel,
    This would be the favorite option, you've used it enough now to show up any damage.

I wouldn't be giving it to much stick for a while though, mixing petrol makes the mixture much more volatile, adding a little bit is a good way of cleaning out the soot, so go easy on it while there is a lot of petrol in it.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I got to the service station today , drove upto a pump that said unleaded, drove past to the next one that had unleaded and diesel, got out and for the first time ever started putting unleaded into my 3.0TD . 14 litres of the stuff,the tank was nearly dry and so I topped it up to the brim with diesel. It's been running fine since, even did a 2hr stint off roading, what should I do next , run it all to empty and then top up with fresh diesel , or keep thinning the petrol mix out by topping up every 50 /60 miles with diesel, will it cause any long term damage , and is there anything further I should do / add to make it better
      Thanks in advance
      I would keep thinning it ,But some on here swear thats its as good as redex for cleaning the injectors and put a gallon of unleaded in frequently
      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
        I would keep thinning it ,But some on here swear thats its as good as redex for cleaning the injectors and put a gallon of unleaded in frequently
        I wouldn't use petrol, for fear of damaging the pump through lack of lubrication that diesel provides.

Comment

thanks for confirming my suspicions, I hoped it wasn't curtains, I'll run it gently down to about 2/3 tank then fill it then run that mix down to 1/3 then fill it , then use nearly all of that tank before filling again, just a thought , but would adding some svo thicken it back up a bit , will that mix ok with the petrol in there

Comment

Dont worry about it, if theres only 14ltrs in there you have plenty of diesel to keep things sliding under the bonnet. i once filled my own van with 50/50 petrol/diesel, a little smokey but no damage. It performed better and ran for 8 years trouble free after that. That was about 10 yrs ago and i have seen it since (probabely with a new engine hehe) If anything was damaged you would be sat at home crying right now
            http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

cheers, just what I wanted to hear , straight from the horses mouth so to speak, managed to get another £10 of diesel in it today , so I think I'll run the full tank right down to the red now and then top it up some fresh diesel. The only slight difference I've noticed so far is that it usually starts with the minimal amount of spins on the startrer motor, now it seems to take a second or so longer, but thats all so far, and then only if its been stood for a bit.

Comment

Thanks in advance

sooo,,,you had a moment a bit like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z15sZU2emo

nearly done it myself a few times but stopped before i pulled the trigger

sounds like no har done tho
                sparkz
                http://www.elite4x4.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                X