Tailgate lock sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate lock sensor

Had a little problem last night, in that the tailgate decided it was open, when it wasn't. This caused me to have problems putting the back window up.
    I susect it is just some moisture, or dirt (the dogs have been getting extremly wet recently) causeing a glitch in the sensor. Now I'm on days at the moment so won't be able to look at her until the weekend but I was wondering (hoping) someone has had to strip the rear end (oh matron) and knows where the switch is to tell the window relay the tailgate is closed, and if needed can it be circumvented to fool the system?

Many thanks.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Circumvented. Good word, just let me write that down.....Cerc......circun.....

anyway, the sensor is in the tailgate latches, passenger side I think. If you open the tailgate and use something like a screwdriver to turn the latches on both sides, as if the tailgate was closed, you can operate the rear window. Take it steady though as you don't want it to come all the way out and flop down and possibly crack.
    With the glass halfway up, you can grease all the mechanism and get to the keyswitch wiring etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Circumvented. Good word, just let me write that down.....Cerc......circun.....
      Well I thought it sounded better than short the switch out.
      Unfortunately the latch is not registering as closed, even when it is. To get the window up envolved a lot of bashing of the tailgate with my ever so slight 15stone (when I hold on the toliet roll holder to lose weight) body. I think this means a latch strip down to find the sensor, if I can identify the area it would save time. But I didn't see it when I swaped motors with the rear passenger door earlier in the year, then again I wasn't looking.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

rear windows switch problems

hi there, here a short answer from down under NZ got the same problem, the switch is located in the latch itself losen the three srews on the site of the latch attachment and take the complete mechanism out (frist get the paneling of ofcourse) follow the wires and you´ll find the switchmine was corroded so faulty circuit told me door was open.

Comment

AAAARRRGGGHHHH.
          It's not just the latch (which apears to be a bit tempermental), I've got power sepage with everything disconnected, so looks like a broken wire going to the tailgate.
          Looks as if while everyone else is unwrapping presents, I'll be unwrapping a car!!!!
          Why do we put up with these things?
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
            AAAARRRGGGHHHH.
            It's not just the latch (which apears to be a bit tempermental), I've got power sepage with everything disconnected, so looks like a broken wire going to the tailgate.
            Looks as if while everyone else is unwrapping presents, I'll be unwrapping a car!!!!
            caue we love em
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

AAAARRRGGGHHHH.
              Check the loom where it loops out of the tailgate and into the body, I've troubles with that bit on a few Surfs (Lindas included) You may need to spike the wires every 1" or so to find the break, as the wire often breaks without the outer insulation splitting so is hard to find.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I was planing on removing the side panel, and cutting the wire the othe side of the gromet, thinking it's probably the bit that gets flexed all the time thats broke. If I'm right then there should be no more seapage (ie the rear interior light will turn off completely), then just solder in new wiring.
                I may be needing a new latch as well if I can't get that switch to work reliably, and I've only just replaced the passenger mirror (whole unit) after someone did a close drive by while I was asleep (they missed the rest of the car thankfully). Oh and back in May I temporarly switched the rear window motor with the rear passenger motor.
                I've decided this year it's definatley either body lift, intercooler, or snorkel; once I finish everything else.
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

I've decided this year it's definatley either body lift, intercooler, or snorkel; once I finish everything else.
                  Why 'either'?

A body lift will help with fitting an intercooler, and extra height can't hurt for the snorkel!!!
                  It just does, OK?

Comment

Almost good news. There is no break in the wire, both latchs have a switch in them, and both my switchs are faulty. So I've disconected one completely, and left the other one(that is working tempermentally) connected, so as I don't accidentally put the window up, when the tailgate is down.
                    The bad news is that I've found this out after stripping the side paneling off. Oh well whilst it's off I'll re-route a few circuits that have been anoying me.
                    But I'm gonna need to get hold of two new catches, as the micro switch is buried deep inside the mechanism.
                    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

But I'm gonna need to get hold of two new catches, as the micro switch is buried deep inside the mechanism.
                      You wouldn't happen to have taken a pic of the latch whilst it was apart,
                      would you?

Comment

i have an old tailgate in the wossname... want me to rob the catches off it for you?
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chillitt]i have an old tailgate in the wossname... [QUOTE]

Is there anything not in your shed?

want me to rob the catches off it for you?
                          Yes please.
                          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

pm your address then, i'll sort em out in a day or 2.. (if there is anything thats not in my shed, i'll get it before long..)
                            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but this is the exact problem i have been having with mine. The car still thinks the tailgate is open, meaning i cant close my rear window.

Have tested all of the microswitches, all fine. Tested the wires, all fine.

Is there a way of bypassing this "window wont work whilst the tailgate is open" restriction? as i NEED boot access this week.

Circuit diagrams and pictures much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                              X