New air filter = more noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New air filter = more noise?

I swapped my air filter last night, the old one was metal-cased and appeared thinner, the new one is plastic cased and looks chunkier, but it fits just fine.

Anyway, today the truck sounds louder when under power, it's difficult to describe the noise but it sounds like more sucking or the sort of noise you get blowing across the top of a bottle, only deeper.

I've never swapped the filter before (so the old one was at least 2 or 3 years old), and I know K&Ns are noisier, but does a clean new normal filter make more noise?

ta
    James

I think the air filter for the 3 litre is slightly taller than the 2.4, so it might be that you've inadvertantly put one of those on?

Being that bit taller, the lid of the air box might not be sitting down properly, and thus causing the induction roar you can hear..
    It just does, OK?

Comment

Also, check for splits or tears in the intake hoses from the air filter to the turbo.

Comment

I'm sure the filter top is clipped down correctly, and there are no splits in the hoses are they were all replaced when I did the head.

Strange that the noise changes overnight, I suppose the old filter must just have been really clogged and therefore quieter?

I'm tempted to put the old one back and see if the noise changes.

Comment

EDIT : just had a look (in daylight) and the guide clip on the filter housing was lifting the lid by around 3mm, so it wasn't completely shut after all.

Thanks guys, nice and easily sorted, it seems to sound normal again

cheers
          James

Comment

Working...
          X