Noise from engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise from engine

I have had a metal on metal rubbing sound coming from the engine somewhere now for a while.It's not there while on tick-over or while normal driving but if i put my foot down a bit then you can hear it until it changes up a gear even with the windows shut.
    I had a look under the bonnet yesterday and the small top pully wheel where the adjustment bolt is has got some slack in it so would this cause the metalic rubbing sound that i have been hearing.
    I don't want to tighten the belt wheel up until i know whether there is meant to be some slack at all on it....T.I.A
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

As you pull away from rest, the engine tries to twist in the engine bay and the engine mounts, (as well as insulating from vibration,) prevent it. So check your exhaust isn't touching the body or something somewhere, as I noticed when we done Apaches bodylift, the exhaust seen really close to the chassis in some places.
    With the engine off, stand to one side of the truck and try and rock the engine to see if you can see or hear the noise.

Umm, top pulley wheel?????

do you mean the air-con pulley?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      As you pull away from rest, the engine tries to twist in the engine bay and the engine mounts, (as well as insulating from vibration,) prevent it. So check your exhaust isn't touching the body or something somewhere, as I noticed when we done Apaches bodylift, the exhaust seen really close to the chassis in some places.
      With the engine off, stand to one side of the truck and try and rock the engine to see if you can see or hear the noise.

Umm, top pulley wheel?????

do you mean the air-con pulley?
      the noise was already there before we done the lifts Vince.It may be that it needs a good oil change maybe as i aint been able to get it done yet since i've had the surf and i've done about 5-6k in it

just had a look and its not the big pully wheel on the a/c compressor (i think thats what it is) but it's the small one to the right of it that the air con belt goes onto also
      Last edited by stormforce; 12 December 2006, 14:06.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
        the noise was already there before we done the lifts Vince.It may be that it needs a good oil change maybe as i aint been able to get it done yet since i've had the surf and i've done about 5-6k in it

just had a look and its not the big pully wheel on the a/c compressor (i think thats what it is) but it's the small one to the right of it that the air con belt goes onto also
        You mean the one to the right of the main aircon pulley which is almost/just
        touching the outer surface of the aircon belt?

Comment

Ah yeah, thats the idler pulley, held on by two bolts if I remember. (got no air-con stuff on mine.) it's like an intermediate pulley to stop the belt flapping about.

Check the belt tension between the idler pulley and the bottom pulley on the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
            You mean the one to the right of the main aircon pulley which is almost/just
            touching the outer surface of the aircon belt?
            thats the one Matt

Comment

thats the one Matt
              It just goes cr@p after a while. 14mm head bolt from behind the cast arm, if I
              remember correctly, to get it off. Not much you can do other than just replace
              it. Think it's a bog standard bearing though, so you should be able to get one
              cheaper from a bearing supplier. BTW, been wanting to replace mine for over
              a year and it's still there. Absolute bugger to get off. I'm sure that bolt's welded
              on.

Comment

here's a couple of pics the first is the small pully wheel and the second is that the adjuster to tighten the belt up as its a long threaded bolt that goes thru the bolt that holds the wheel on.
                http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...&addtype=local

Comment

Think it's a bog standard bearing though, so you should be able to get one
                  cheaper from a bearing supplier. BTW, been wanting to replace mine for over
                  a year and it's still there. Absolute bugger to get off. I'm sure that bolt's welded
                  on.
                  Common bearing just held in by a circlip. Check the Aussie site FAQs for the number. Just undo the nut at back of bracket. It will be tight and a little awkward so get at. Use a correct fitting spanner so you don't round the nut.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                    Common bearing just held in by a circlip. Check the Aussie site FAQs for the number. Just undo the nut at back of bracket. It will be tight and a little awkward so get at. Use a correct fitting spanner so you don't round the nut.

Nev
                    thanks Nev,Matt and Vince i will see if i can get it sorted soon and let you know if the noise goes or not

Comment

thanks Nev,Matt and Vince i will see if i can get it sorted soon and let you know if the noise goes or not
                      Just remembered you've got the 3.0L. I keep thinking yours is a 2.4.

Comment

Just remembered you've got the 3.0L. I keep wishing yours is a 2.4.

hehehe!!

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                          It will be tight and a little awkward so get at.
                          I think that must be the understatement of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            hehehe!!

Comment

is it right then that this air con idler wheel is only just touching the belt on a 2.4? ican push the belt off of mine with the minimum of effort, is that ok?
                              DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Working...
                              X