Front diff inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front diff inspection

OK, been off roading today, and I think I have broken my front diff. It clonks in 4wd, and runs fine in 2wd. I suspect a broken tooth in the mechanism.

So, is there a guide anywhere on how to open it all up and inspect?
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

the only link i know of that would be of some help to you paul is on the ozzy site but at the mo it says under construction and i think it as bee like this for some time.

from what i remember when i took my front diff off, you have to remove both drive shafts, the bolts on these are very very very tight!!!! then remove any vacume hoses and electric cables i think these are on the front of the diff and are very hard to reach. then remove the mounting bolts and drop the whole diff,once its on the floor you can see how things come apart easy enough. but i have never changed the gear so have no knowledge in this, i hope this can help you paul.

im sure there will be more people along soon that know a lot more than i that may be able to help you more.

good luck m8..
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
      OK, been off roading today, and I think I have broken my front diff. It clonks in 4wd, and runs fine in 2wd. I suspect a broken tooth in the mechanism.

Chris has one already stripped dowmn minus teeth
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Hi Paul, does sound like the same issue I had...pm'd you
        Gaz

Comment

The first part of this link will describe removal

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...difflocker.htm
          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
            The first part of this link will describe removal

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...difflocker.htm
            Cheers Andrew, that guide makes is look like removal should be an easy job.

OK, one question.... if I take the front diff out, is there any reasonable way that I can secure stuff up and still drive the Surf (obviously in 2wd only). Or is that just being stupid? I'm only asking because given other pressures, and the general weather at the moment, I may only be able to find the time to remove the diff. I could then spend a few days inspecting it at my leisure, and then when the next good weather opportunity presents, along with spare time, I can put it back on (possibly after sourcing a replacement part). In the mean time it would be handy to be able to drive the Surf.

So, is that a stupid idea?
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

I'd go with it, no prop and driveshafts and it'll be OK for a while, as long as the front crossmember is still there.

There will be a (albet long shot) way of $$$$ getting in the bearings if you go wading through deep water without the front props in, but on the road it'll be OK.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                I'd go with it, no prop and driveshafts and it'll be OK for a while, as long as the front crossmember is still there.

There will be a (albet long shot) way of $$$$ getting in the bearings if you go wading through deep water without the front props in, but on the road it'll be OK.
                Cool, good to know. Thanks Tony.
                Paul </Slugsie>
                Immortal.so far!

Comment

ive got a spare front diff unit sitting in my drive for a 2.4 if yours is knackered and its the same ratio, your welcome to it.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
                    ive got a spare front diff unit sitting in my drive for a 2.4 if yours is knackered and its the same ratio, your welcome to it.
                    Thanks Mark. Unfortunately 2.4ltrs and 3ltrs have different ratios (as far as I know). I also won't know for certain what is broken until I strip it down. This may end up being the ideal opportunity to fit a locking front diff.
                    Paul </Slugsie>
                    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Working...
                    X