Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise from front

Hi all.
    Any advise most welcome as newby to the Surf, bought a 98 3lt in Sept from a import dealer but done over 9 thou miles since then, had it serviced by local garage but now hearing a noise from the front end.
    The noise is almost a grinding / whirring noise that is louder at low speeds but does not favour any side when cornering, it has progresivley increased in volume over the last 2 thou miles.
    Does anyone know any problems with the front diff, wheel bearings or half shafts to check befor I start changing bits?

Thanks in advance

Fish.
    If it smells like fish, eat it!

Originally posted by Fish
    Hi all.
    Any advise most welcome as newby to the Surf, bought a 98 3lt in Sept from a import dealer but done over 9 thou miles since then, had it serviced by local garage but now hearing a noise from the front end.
    The noise is almost a grinding / whirring noise that is louder at low speeds but does not favour any side when cornering, it has progresivley increased in volume over the last 2 thou miles.
    Does anyone know any problems with the front diff, wheel bearings or half shafts to check befor I start changing bits?

Thanks in advance

Fish.
    From my limited knowledge , sounds like it could be the Cam Belt tensioners... saw a post somewhere on here about loose , or broken tensioners... have a search on that for a starter !
    http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

are there any warning lights on
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Thanks for the replies,
        There are no warning lights coming on.
        The noise is on the drive system somewere as it increases in volume and pace in line with the speed and not the engine revs.
        Ive also noticed a slight drop in volume when there is less weight over the front, ie acceleration or where I crest a hill.

Fish
        If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

I'm also not sure yet about the Surf stuff but your description sounds like prop shaft Uj's to me, maybe you could get underneath and try to move them about with a big screwdriver or prybar to see if theres any movement???
          ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

Working...
          X