overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating

my surf 3.0 overheats when under load ,but normal when just cruising around.

any ideas

Originally posted by scooby69

any ideas
    How much load are you talking about? mine overheats in summer when I tow my caravan up a long hill but soon goes back to normal when I back off the gas.
    I think most 3ltrs do the same.
    Never had a problem solo.
    Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

any ideas
      Give the rad a good flush out
      I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

too hot

i did loose the water last night towing a min digger , it pulls ok but just gets too hot . i have just found out that my eletric fan don`t work but have been driving the truck at normal speeds and all seems ok until i pull something.

Comment

i did loose the water last night towing a min digger , it pulls ok but just gets too hot . i have just found out that my eletric fan don`t work but have been driving the truck at normal speeds and all seems ok until i pull something.
          Aha now you tell us
          Try fitting an extra oil cooler for your gearbox. But I would still make sure that your rad is in good condition inside and out.
          I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Btw the electric fan on the 3ltr is only for the aircon.
            Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Make sure the engine driven viscous fan is working OK. They leak out the silicon oil over time and loose the ability to lock up under heat/load. Also use an ATF oil cooler as the standard one is in the bottom of the rad and under load tends to heat the coolant back up just before it re-enters the engine. Definitely a poor design but putting a second ATF oil cooler in line before the OE one should cure the problem.
              Mike G

Comment

Firstly, have you done any maintenance on the cooling system since getting
                the vehicle at all? If not, replace the rad cap and thermostat, and flush the
                cooling system out and put a 50/50 antifreeze/water mix back in. (allowing
                for the water left in the block, that will keep you above the 30% minimum).
                Once you have taken [care of|checked] that side of things, as Mike says,
                the viscous fan is your next port of call. Check that it is operating as it
                should. When the engine is cold, the viscous fan should move freely, locking
                up as the engine gets warmer. With regards to an ATF cooler, if you do fit
                one of those, it is worthwhile also fitting a thermostatic valve so that the
                ATF fluid does go through the bottom of the rad until it reaches a certain
                temperature, at which point the valve will kick in redirecting the flow through
                the external oil cooler.

BTW, just incase anyone's thinking it, I don't dream about cooling systems.

Comment

Working...
                X