Rear End Rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear End Rattle

I have an annoying rattle on the car that only seems to appear under light braking. It's definitely coming from the rear. I've tried today taking eveything loose out of the rear load area and both rear side pockets but it's still there. The main propshaft UJ's were checked and one replaced about two years ago, they're regularly greased as well and show no movement and the vibration that existed when one had worn badly isn't there now.

I've checked the tightness of the rear mounted spare, checked the wheel nuts; the ARB's (both front & rear) are firm with new bushes and bolted down tight. The jack is in place & screwed out to hold it very firmly. I've got new rear springs, a recent new exhaust that doesn't move around or touch anywhere.

As it only seems to appear on over-run and under light braking (not when under drive) but dissappears under heavier braking I don't think it can be rear brake related although that's a possibility. Other than possibly worn bushes on the rear axle torque rods, I'm stumped.

Anyone had anything similar (there's nothing I can find under "Rattle" in the search box) and managed to cure it?
    Mike G

Originally posted by Tallyman
    I have an annoying rattle on the car that only seems to appear under light braking. It's definitely coming from the rear. I've tried today taking eveything loose out of the rear load area and both rear side pockets but it's still there. The main propshaft UJ's were checked and one replaced about two years ago, they're regularly greased as well and show no movement and the vibration that existed when one had worn badly isn't there now.

I've checked the tightness of the rear mounted spare, checked the wheel nuts; the ARB's (both front & rear) are firm with new bushes and bolted down tight. The jack is in place & screwed out to hold it very firmly. I've got new rear springs, a recent new exhaust that doesn't move around or touch anywhere.

As it only seems to appear on over-run and under light braking (not when under drive) but dissappears under heavier braking I don't think it can be rear brake related although that's a possibility. Other than possibly worn bushes on the rear axle torque rods, I'm stumped.

Anyone had anything similar (there's nothing I can find under "Rattle" in the search box) and managed to cure it?

Anti roll bar links that bolt to the chassis ? LSPV ? top nut on the shocks loose?

Comment

Hi Vince,

Not ARB, can't see it's the LSPV as that's tight. Will look at the rear shocks tomorrow.

Thanks
      Mike G

Comment

Working...
      X