brake master cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake master cylinder

just had a new master cylinder fitted that i got off ebay (turn out it comes from milners) but the mechanic said he spent ages trying to get some feeling
    through the pedals but nothing, they work but not very convincingly. is it because it comes from milners or do i have another problem. i can get a servo and master cylinder off a breaker for £80 but will i be wasting my time and money (which i am running out of very quickly with this surf) or shall i go for it. need it sorted before november so i can come and meet up on the 4th

chances r the wheel cyl is working. Cant you see the pistons move?
    Also check the that the adjusters r adjusted up properly (small slot on the inside of the brake drum -small cog that u click round with a screwdriver).
    If there is some air in try re bleeding, but if the air has travelled up the line then bleed the load sensing valve 1st (above the rear axle) then the wheel cylinder.
    Hope this helps and u get it sorted...cheap lol
    Just finished replacing the front calipers on mine.
    BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

For what reason did you have a new master cylinder fitted? What were the symtoms ? did the brakes work before?

Comment

Could need the master cylinder bleeding at the master cylinder itself. Was this done?

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by splasher
          For what reason did you have a new master cylinder fitted? What were the symtoms ? did the brakes work before?
          they where working ok on short journeys but if i did a lot of braking they would get spongey

Comment

Originally posted by j.hell
            they where working ok on short journeys but if i did a lot of braking they would get spongey
            sound like the same problem that i'm having. will be intersted to see what comes out of this,

cheers scotty

Comment

went and got a servo and master cylinder off a breaker so will get that fitted to see if it works

Comment

Old brake fluid containing water could cause this. Brake fliud is hydroscopic and when it absorbs moisture it has a very low boiling point. Are you using new brake fliud from a sealed container?

Comment

Originally posted by splasher
                  Old brake fluid containing water could cause this. Brake fliud is hydroscopic and when it absorbs moisture it has a very low boiling point. Are you using new brake fliud from a sealed container?
                  As mentioned by splasher brake fluid will over time absorb mosture. Dot 3 &4 especially will turn a darker brown when its got mosture in it. Not sure about the cars but on bikes its recomended that its changed every 2years.
                  BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

it has had a complete fluid change so it must be down to the master cylinder being an inferior product

Comment

Working...
                    X