Vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration

Hi all, I had a slight vibration at at all speeds on my 96 3.0 ssrx but more noticeable at 60 70+ well it was more of a tremble really, it didn't shake the steering wheel or anything else it just felt like the truck was trembling, but under braking it got worse and the steering would shake, so I greased all the nipples on the propshaft, they all looked as if they had not seen a grease gun for a long time and it is alot better,smoother at speed but just a slight tremble under braking now.Are there any more places I should attack with the grease gun, I could not see anymore nipples to have a go at. What does the nipple on the end of the propshaft tube lubricate, I pumped quite a lot of grease into it but did not hear any grease sqelching out anywhere. still a newbie but still delighted with my surf.

Originally posted by mayto
    Hi all, I had a slight vibration at at all speeds on my 96 3.0 ssrx but more noticeable at 60 70+ well it was more of a tremble really, it didn't shake the steering wheel or anything else it just felt like the truck was trembling, but under braking it got worse and the steering would shake, so I greased all the nipples on the propshaft, they all looked as if they had not seen a grease gun for a long time and it is alot better,smoother at speed but just a slight tremble under braking now.Are there any more places I should attack with the grease gun, I could not see anymore nipples to have a go at. What does the nipple on the end of the propshaft tube lubricate, I pumped quite a lot of grease into it but did not hear any grease sqelching out anywhere. still a newbie but still delighted with my surf.

Trmbling under braking could be your brake discs are warped, (if you can feel the trembling through the brake pedal) or old tyres.

The propshaft is telescopic to allow for suspension articulation when off roading.

Comment

Thanks bushwacker, I dont fell the vibration through the brake pedal it seems to be more through the steering, that nipple on the propshaft tube, do I keep pumping grease until I see grease coming out of the joint of propshaft tube and the splined shaft?.

Comment

No, you don't want to fill it up, as too much will stop the shaft sliding.
        Are your wheels balanced? vibration through the truck indicates the rear wheels are out of balance, vibration through the steering is front wheels.

How old are your tyres? are they the ones that were fitted when the truck left Japan?

If they're new, are they directional tyres i.e. do they have direction of rotation arrows on the sidewalls? If they've been fitted the wrong way round, it can cause vibration and handling problems.

Comment

Tyres are new Bridgestone Dueler HT's, I will have a good look at the front end, steering components etc this weekend, is there anything in particular I should be looking for?, thanks Bushwacker: grin2:

Comment

If you had a 2nd gen, I would say check the front wheel bearings, they may need tightening, but I think 3rd gens are different.
            Could be worn dampers on the front thats causing vibration when you brake too!

Comment

The truck has done 63,000 miles probably original dampers, the trembling is very slight since I greased the prop, if the dampers were worn would greasing the prop lessen the vibration? I dont know, it doesn't take much to confuse me Bushwacker.

Comment

[QUOTE=mayto]The truck has done 63,000 miles probably original dampers, the trembling is very slight since I greased the prop, if the dampers were worn would greasing the prop lessen the vibration? QUOte}

If the vibration is less noticable since you greasd the propshaft, then I would have though you've almost cured it and maybe pump a little more in.

Doe it vibrate when in 4WD? maybe something else wants lubricating.
                Not too familier with the 3rd gen set-up.

Worn dampers on the front will make the front bouncy and braking will be sloppy and slightly bumpy/vibrate.

Comment

The front does not seem bouncy the front end dips under heavy braking but no more than I would have thought was normal, the truck seems to handle ok as well and the brakes are firm and very good, the truck pulls up quickly and stops in a straight line, I will get underneath again with the grease gun and wd40 and squirt everthing that looks like it should move. Thanks for your help Bushwacker: grin3:

Comment

Hi guys..

How much are new discs for the front as I also get a bit of vibration on braking? the wheel turns from side to side when I brake...
                    [I][B]96 3rd Gen in bluuuueeeee[/B]I]

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
                      Hi guys..

How much are new discs for the front as I also get a bit of vibration on braking? the wheel turns from side to side when I brake...
                      I've just replaced mine using Roughtrax they were £30+VAT each, you'll also want to change your brake pads as well, but remember until they have bedded in you will have very poor braking.
                      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Hi guys..

http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=11&cid=156

http://www.milneroffroad.com/KZN130.htm#brakes
                        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Hi guys..

Hi there, i have just replaced mine tonight. bought them from roughtrax £30 + vat. Milners £22.50. No particular reason for choosing the more expensive ones just read a few posts and majority go for milners cos of cost and are generally pleased with them, so thought i would try the others. Looks like a bitch of a job but its really quite easy. Its great fun making surfs go faster but you still have to stop em...
                          Last edited by Antshiel; 17 November 2006, 02:13.
                          http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                          X