Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Pulley Nut

Guys

Halfway through changing the cam belt on my 2.4.
    Just need to remove the cam pully nut.
    The instructions i was sent suggests removing the starter motor and jamming with a screwdriver. is there an easier and quicker way?

Any help would be wonderfull.

God i need a brew.

Thanks in advance.
    WHAT!!!

Originally posted by stressmonkey
    Guys

Halfway through changing the cam belt on my 2.4.
    Just need to remove the cam pully nut.
    The instructions i was sent suggests removing the starter motor and jamming with a screwdriver. is there an easier and quicker way?

Any help would be wonderfull.

God i need a brew.

Thanks in advance.
    you must mean the crank pulley nut, i would say that it is not a good idea, what if the end breaks off, a good fitting cranked ring spanner and a sharp tap with hammer will release it, however tight it is
    Last edited by gemini; 17 January 2004, 14:41.
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

If its a manual, put it in gear and try again. or last resort is a long breaker bar, resting on the ground and turn the ignition key. (make sure you have the bar round the right way!!!! )

I usually jam the flywheel with a big screwdriver, usually works. try from the bellhousing inspection plate, to save removing the stater.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I've got the same problem, I'm mid way through changing the cam belt on a 91 2.4td auto and I can't get the camshaft pulley bolt off, I found the fly wheel inspection cover and jammed in a screw driver although theres not much to jam it against, then why I try to turn the camshaft pulley bolt it either spits out the screwdriver or makes a horrible noise as the teeth grind over the screw driver. I guess because the screw drivers not jamed in tight enought but I can't get it to lock the fly wheel. Any ideas appreciated
        Last edited by Darren; 13 May 2004, 14:36.

Comment

or you could use this

and use two bolts from the local hardware to bolt it to 2 of the crank pulley boltholes, then lean it onto something and it might look like this...

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
            or you could use this

and use two bolts from the local hardware to bolt it to 2 of the crank pulley boltholes, then lean it onto something and it might look like this...

That's the jobby Jim, works every time, you need to take it off anyway to get a reasonable amount of access to the timing belt cover anyway.

Just need to make sure they are strong bolts cos they don't half get a hammering - best to get a dozen, think they are M8 and make them 2 inch long ones.

It jams nicely against the drivers side chassis rail if you fit it right. Also usefull for doing it up again but you need to swap it round and jam it against the passenger side chassis rail.

Cheers

Comment

I was discussing this with my local garage a little while ago(had to take the engine down there in the back of my wifes Galant (ever seen a sway backed Galant b4?) cos the crank pulley nut was tighter than a tight thing, even with an air gun, it took a bit of encouragement) anyway he said, and I quote

"we just leave the breaker bar on there and crank the engine, it hits the inner wing and loosens it nicely"........glad I didn't let them near my engine!!!
              Life is not a dress rehearsal
              1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
              (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Comment

Working...
              X